Leupold Mount Question - Win 70 safari 375h&h

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
Question...None of the local outlets here have the Winchester 70 dual dovetail bases that I need for my new rifle - going to have to order from Midway. My question is, is the mounting area on a zeiss conquest 3-9x40 enough to get away with standard dual dovetails or should I order a reversible dove tail to allow for more room to mount scope?

Secondly, can I get away with Low rings or should I stick with mediums?

My Zeiss has 6.125" between the bells.

How much do you have between the outside mounting holes?

I'd go talley not worry about it one piece mount. Or go with there QD rings and mounts since your rifle has sights.

It is 5.70" end from each end...

When you say talleys, are you meaning the 1 piece ringmounts? I had given those serious thought. Would those in a low clear a 40 mm ziess?

Should be plenty long for Leupold DDs, Nothing wrong with Talleys, but they do put the scope a bit high on some rifles....I'd think a magnum M70 with a straight stock might be one of those.

You'll just have to see how high you can get away with. I like a low scope so I can get a good cheekweld.

Talley Fixed Rings are very nice and offer more surface clamping area than the Leupolds of that matters.

I used the Leupold QD bases/rings on all the 375s I played/hunted with. Medium rings, usually with a VIII 2.5x8 or similar. I even use this setup on my Whelen AI, also with Medium rings, even with its 1.5x5. I'm tall and my neck may be a bit longer than some, but I find the medium work better all around. For the bigger guns, one tends to hold their head up a tad higher anyhow. Now, I must add that I am by nature a "stock crawler" so I have to watch it on heavy kickers, but the two Mod 70 Safaris (and the Mod 70 SS Safari) just weren't bad kickers. Even the Mod 700 BDL SS I favored for the mountains wasn't bad. I "did" put a set of dual dovetails on a lightweight 300 RUM. When I put Talley QD on a Sako, I found that "Low" rings was the same height as "Medium" Leupolds. I think you will love your new baby!

idahohunter8":1gd642oe said:
It is 5.70" end from each end...

When you say talleys, are you meaning the 1 piece ringmounts? I had given those serious thought. Would those in a low clear a 40 mm ziess?

The Talley LW mounts will clear 44mm lens on the older Zeiss Conquests on my Win 70's. If you want a QD look at there separate mount and rings. If you want pictures holler.

Got the Zeiss scope mounted up...Not so sure about these dual dovetails....I lined them up with the Wheeler tool and also lapped the snot out of them. When I laser bore sited at 25 yards, my windage is essentially maxed out to line them up left/right. Toughest set of rings/bases I have ever mounted.

I am so unsure about these, that I have ordered the Talley steel 2 pc mounts with rings and probably plan to switch to those. I will get out in the morning and at least shoot the rifle, but for now not a fan of the dual dovetails.

Attachments

• 375hh1.JPG
    375hh1.JPG
    642.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 375hh3.JPG
    375hh3.JPG
    657.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 375hh2.JPG
    375hh2.JPG
    621.9 KB · Views: 277
I've used them happily before - but completely understand your concern!

On my Model 70, I'm using Talley QD rings - but it's not much help to you since my bases were custom made, for those rings.

Regards, Guy

Back