Leupold or Bushnell

SakoSteve270wsm,

I don't agree at all that the eyebox on the Leu. is at all better than a Zeiss Conquest.

I have 10 Leupold scopes all purchased before the Conquests came out. Now I have 7 Zeiss.

To each his own.

My buddy just got the 6500 and after a few rounds out of his Kimber 270 the crosshairs broke. The store he bought it from gave him a new one and no problems so far.

Sorry, I just had to put my 2 cents worth in.
At the price range you are talking about a Zeiss scope is lighter and has better glass than either of the two scopes in my experience and you could probably go to Kahles if not Swarovski for a couple hundred more. All I'm saying is "don't limit yourself in the box" go outside a little and then if you still choose Leupold or Bushnell you can feel you've checked em all out. I have each of the above and I put the Zeiss and my Bushnel Elite 4000 pretty close. Leupold is comparable glass but at about one price range higher.
The answer is to go to a BIG sporting goods store and look into the dark shadows in bright daylight with them all and see. I always come away amazed at how my perspective changed on scopes. Even the same brand has good and bad scopes based on my vision and needs. Leupold has a lifetime repair and replacement warrenty and so do the best companies. You want that! Check it out and have fun.

Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

VXIII Just went on Sale at Cabelas for $325.00 Figures I paid 285.00 for my VX2 a couple Months ago. CL

MidwayUSA has a few of the VX-III scopes on sale. Pretty good prices - $339.99 for a 2.5-8X32
$429.99 for a 4.5-14X40

In may of 2008 after 6 months of looking at scopes from cheap to expesive in leupold zies bushnal tasco and burries . I finally settled on a leupold vx-111 4.5x14x50 LR with duplex and this has side paralax adjustments 30mm tube I love this scope. :) leupold also has lots of extras for the scopes they are expensive but worth it the flip open cap second to non. I think i lost four pair of butler creek stick on one's before i stopped buying them .

I don't know much about the newer Bushnell but I do have the Bausch and Lomb Elite 4000 before they changed the name to Bushnell. I tell you, It's still the brightest 1 inch scope I ever own.

The problem I see with the Bushnell 6500 as a deer hunting scope is the reticle. Either the mil dot or multi-X is fine in the bright sunlight but where I hunt the best bucks are killed around the last 5 minutes of light in the evening and you just can't see those standard reticles very well. If they would put the firefly reticle in the 6500 it would be great. You do not have to light up the firefly reticle. When you light up those reticles they cast off a glare that causes problems seeing what you want to shoot at. The reticle not lit up has a very thick then it steps down to a less thick then it steps down to a normal cross hair at the center. When the light is low you can see this reticle very well and also see the game you are shooting at.

Another scope that I have found that is a very good scope with just as clear glass as my Zeiss Deivari (SP?) 3-12X56 is the Meopta Meostar. You can get these scopes for less than half the price of of the Zeiss high end scope and with a side by side test I can see no difference in the glass at all right up until it gets completely dark. I just love that #4 reticle also for deer hunting.

About the Zeiss Conquest scopes. Don't get me wrong they are great scopes. IMO better glass than any Leupold I have seen but they are not in a side by side comparison the same as the high end Zeiss scope as far as glass goes. But then again the high end Zeiss's run $1500.00 to $2000.00 and that is a lot of jack. That is the reason that I went with the Meopta Meostar 3-13X56 for my new custom Rem 700 264 Win Mag.

Back