Opinions on Leupold Alternatives

Thanks Jim. And thanks to all for your input.

I’ve decided to give Burris a try. This doesn’t mean I’m going to hock all my Leupold scopes as I’ve had better luck that most with them. As per the purpose of this post I was looking for an also-ran, a runner up so to speak that could be counted on or turned to as an alternative to Leupold.

Got a Fulfield II in the mail last week and am thinking I will put it on either my .22-250 or .25-06 to start out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That seems like a reasonable course of action.

I've been using mostly Leupold scopes since the 1970's - only had one that needed to be sent in for repair - a 4.5-14x in the late 1990's. I was using it on a SWAT rifle and the windage adjustment went out on it. The department actually owned that scope. Leupold turned it around very quickly, for free of course.

But... last year Scotty talked me into trying a 6x SWFA, and I'm kinda blown away by that scope! It's only $300, but performs very well. It's a much larger, heavier scope than the Leupolds I normally use, but not ungainly. Brightness & clarity are good. Reputation is that it's rugged as all get out. I've had it afield quite a bit and it's got my stamp of approval, for whatever that's worth.

Guy

I still own a number of older Leupolds. My only complaint is that they seem to drift POI season to season. Not much but enough to have to tweak. My son has a Bushnell 3200 elite on a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. POI has not moved since the scope was mounted over 10 years ago. (still using powder from the original lot of RL15).

I used to own only Leupolds back in the 80's thru early 2000's. Every VariX-II and newer versions of the same would drift and required me to verify ZERO and adj. Some of the VXIII. Used CS couple of times with NO complaints back then. I still own a Leupold VX2 on a Savage 99 but have since moved on, been using Vortex Viper & Razor, Swaro and Zeiss.
Happy so far.

I have two older Leupold (Pre-VX era) and trust them.

My VX7 is going to get sold after hunting season.

I've had enough of the Leupold 2-step at the range.

Man! I hate hearing this. I have a couple vx I's that I had the custom shop add click adjustments to. I had to return my VX II due to a parallax issue. I THINK that cured it but Ive never shot as well as I did when that scope was first on my rifle. Getting older I guess.... I have one VX2 and it took me a full box to get it sighted in. Took it out one time after that and shot a 3/4 inch 3 shot group. Put it in the safe and there its stayed for personal reasons. Point is I finally got to the point that I could do better than an 80 dollar Bushnell. Went with Leupold's because they had a reputation for staying put. Now you guys are telling me its a problem. :cry: :?: You've started me second guessing again :oops: :evil: maybe that last lousy group wasn't just me :x :x Im not swapping out anything... cant afford it. I bought one vortex Diamondback. Price was the issue. Wasn't Gonna spend $300 on glass for my 22 MAG. It seems to stay put but its not as clear as my VX I's. I have two old Weaver K4's on my Dads rifles. Compared to my VX2 and II's they are like looking through a coke bottle but they are still shooting 2-3 inch groups right where Dad left them. Sigh..... CL

CL, I wouldn't worry about your older Leupolds. They have always been rock solid for me. I have only had one shift point of aim in over 30 years. Found the problem was the action bolts on the rifle had backed off and needed to be retorqued. Rechecked the bases and rings as well, and fine tuned the scopes zero and it was back to producing stellar groups again, when I did my part.
The only scope I have ever sent back for service, was one that took a bad knock on the rocks when I slipped and fell while climbing in a mountain drainage. That Leupold Vari-X III is still on that rifle and performing well today.
And I would take a Leupold VX-I or II over a Vortex any day. (And I have sold many of each and replaced many Vortex's under warranty while working in the LGS's)

See too many people second guessing their equipment these days just because someone else on line has had a problem. IF they are working well for you and not experiencing failure...there is no problem.

I think expectations are getting a little too high these days. Most people are quick to judge the equipment, when 9 times out of 10, it is the person using the equipment that is the biggest variable in the equation.

Blkrm- All true. In my case, anyway there is usually more trouble with the "nut behind the trigger" than anything else. :grin: My one true "cloverleaf group was shot with one of those $80 dollar Bushnells, years ago. (Younger eyes and reflexes..). I have since "upgraded" but never repeated the feat. CL

I swore off Leupold optics for several years after one of their mid priced long range scopes turned out to be a disappointment.

But when I wanted a lightweight scope for the lever action carbine Leupold was the only real option.

I went with the VX3i 1.5-5x20....its still early in the game, but so far its been great... sighted in easy, bright and clear optics.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I hope your new Leupold helps restore your faith in the product!

These days, I am buying the used VX-III or VX-3's with B&C reticles, versus the newer "i" series, as I like the looks and lines of the older scopes better, but that is just my preference. Have purchased a couple of the VX-3 3.5-10x40'sB&C's in gunmetal gray over the past few months to put on stainless rifles. Love the look of these scopes! Also, really like the Alumina scope lense covers.

Still finding them to be among the most rugged, reliable, slim and lightweight scopes on the market. And with a lifetime warranty and their warranty center not that far away, there is a sense of security that goes along with it. As mentioned previously, the only scope (an older Vari-X III I bought used) of theirs that has ever required service was the result of a bad fall on the rocks on a mtn goat hunt, and not a fault of the scope itself. Mailed, fixed, return mail and back on the rifle in 11 days. Still on that 338 Win Mag today with no further issue.

I really appreciate the discussion we have had here. I’ve had great luck with Leupold over the years covering many different product lines. I have two older M8-4x, a Vari-X 3-9, a couple Vari-X IIs, a VX-2 even own a newer VX-3i and a VX-Freedom and couldn’t be happier. Glad to hear there are many other quality products out there to be had!

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never had a problem with over 10 Leupolds from the cheap 3-9x vari x2, 6-20x vari x3s, or MK4s. Leupolds are all myself and family put on our big game rifles. Absolutely no issues with holding zero, or tracking.

Back