Leupold Quality ?

DrMike":1a74np5k said:
Among my scopes, I count multiple examples of Swarovski, Kahles and Zeiss. I do have at least two VX3s, two VX6s and three VX7s. These are all good scopes. I confess, however, that I am still partial to my European scopes.

What do you think of the VX7 compared to the VX6?

Thanks and sorry for hijacking the thread. :>)

c. schutte":1it5e8g6 said:
What do you think of the VX7 compared to the VX6?

Thanks and sorry for hijacking the thread. :>)

I picked two of these up, steeply discounted, after the VX6 was released. Quality wise, the glass is indistinguishable from the VX6. Resolution, colour, etc. are very good. I do like them.

I don't know that you highjacked the thread, as it still addresses Leupold quality. Advances incorporated in top-of-the-line scopes migrate eventually (sooner, I should think, rather than later) to the VX3 and VX2 scopes.

I have been a satisfied Leupold user for quite a while, the Vari X III 3.5-10x40 I have had for around 20 years has taken an unbelievable amount of punishment with goat and sheep hunting and only recently needed some repair but no scope would have survived the fall I took. I have some other older Leupold scopes that have been excellent, the M8 6x36 is a favorite in particular. There have been numerous reports of recent Leupold variables having problems but the company does fix them, still I am leery of buying a new one. I would definitely still buy a new fixed power scope since they seem to still be very tough. I would imagine Leupold will do something to make their variable scopes tougher again, the older 2-7x33 that rides on top of the 375 Ruger has been rock solid and is a fine scope.

Gerry,

I've heard the same thing regarding the variables having issues. Any scope can have an issue but Leupold did have more than they should have. From what I have heard (and that does not mean much) that issue has been corrected with their VX3 line up and above by going to the twin bias springs.

My old Veri X II has never had a problem in 30+ years of service on several different rifles. My VX7 was put on a .340 wby and if that ain't a test then I don't know what is. Trying to remember how many rounds have been put through the tube (bout 150 I suppose) and it holds zero like a champ. That's not a lot really but the scope can only perform as tested. Tracking is like a dream too.

For me I would have no issue putting a VX3 or better Leupold on any rifle I own.

That's good to hear, Leupold can definitely make a good scope and hopefully that will continue going forward.

FOTIS":2pmpf153 said:
skidmark":2pmpf153 said:
GeorgeS What did it take to stop that Buffalo ?

Model 70 Custom 470 Capstick. Pac-nor tube. I have played with that one! :mrgreen:

Looks like the Tanzanian Bush.
Got some brave folks here.

I bought a VX1 4-12x40 from Fotis. I decided I wanted a couple of little tweaks done to it... click windage adjustments, and an M1 elevation turret. Dropped it off at Leupold's HQ, wrote them a check, and within a week I had it back, rebuilt, cleaned, and modified. Probably not going to get that level of service from many other companies.

There may be scopes as good or better out there for less money....but thats not a bet I'm taking. For me the tracking and repeat- ability are worth the money. What good is my cheaper scope if it dosent stay where I put it? Yes I have had trouble with one Leupold scope. Its back on my rifle, better than when I bought it for the cost of shipping and it always shoots where I point it. CL

I have always purchased Leupolds. I picked up a Sako 270 Delux a number of years ago as a back up rifle for a western hunting trip. I developed a load for the gun, took it to the range, sighted it in, got it to a point I was satisfied. It went with me on each hunt, but never got into the field. For 20 years it sat in my cabinet.Recently I decided that I should at take it to the range and give it a work out. That rifle and scope did not let me down. The Leupold Vari III was as true today as it was 20 years ago after being bumped and shipped all over North America.

Just bought my first, AR mod 1.5-4x, and I think I like it as much, maybe a little more than the Trijicon Accupoint I have on my model 70.

I own (3) Leupold's presently and they have done functionally exactly what I expected them to do. I have not had any issues with these Leupold's. In fact, the only issue that I ever had was with (3) Vari-X III scopes made in the 1980's. The VX-3 and VX-6 are fine platform optics and I support the use of all of them.

As Charles says, I am primarily using Zeiss Conquest, HD5 and Diavari V/VM scopes now. However, I still buy Leupold's for many of my other guns and will continue to do so, as long as they hold up their end of quality optics.

7mmJoe":1ul0l04g said:
Just bought my first, AR mod 1.5-4x, and I think I like it as much, maybe a little more than the Trijicon Accupoint I have on my model 70.

Joe... Why do you like the Leupold over the Trijicon?

Back