Leupold Question

HeathSexton

Handloader
May 12, 2006
I have an older Vari-XII 4x12 with friction adjustments that I would like to send back to Leupold and have the m1 dial with clicks added. Can/will Leupold do this and any idea on cost?

Tahnks

Best thing to do is call them. They have great customer service.

PS or you can email or snail mail them. They will answer.

I sent them a VX-III with click adjustments about two years ago for the conversion to M1 knobs. They did the windage and elevation knobs for about $130 or so and had it back quickly. Less than two weeks.

I don't know if they can/will convert a friction adjustment to click adjustments...

Well worth a phone call though. They've got a good custom shop.

Regards, Guy

HeathSexton

Quite a few years back I sent the same scope, Vari X ii 4-12x40mmAO back to Leupold and they put target dials on it. You will have to call but I think they can put the M 1 dials on it for you. Cost is about $150 and turn around time is less than 2 weeks.
Let us know what Leupold has to say about the conversion.

JD338

Thanks guys. I tried to call them but got the computer voice that kept telling me I was about number 75 in line. I will try them back on Monday.

Not to hijack the thread, but does that speak to a QC issue that they might have 75 people waiting on the phone at one time? Just thinking about it. I've called the following shooting related folks with these results:

1. Savage - Very nice, helpful, and prompt. Very short hold times during transfers.
2. Browning - Nice, but ignorant of their own products and not very good at catching the phone. Actually gave me advice that would be dangerous to downright deadly to try.
3. Weatherby - Very nice, very knowledgeable, and willing to help on just about anything. Quick to answer the phone and email.
4. Remington - Awful. Two weeks to answer email, and then the answer was not even really an answer to my question. Unable to provide data or guidance for Remington branded component bullets I wanted to load. Unwilling to discuss rifle accuracy with any sort of commitment - just kept telling me they made "some of the most accurate rifles in the world."
5. Barnes - Very helpful, very nice, and willing to go the extra mile.
6. Accurate Powders (Western Powders) - Extremely knowledgeable, very helpful, and took the time to explain why they gave the guidance they gave. Quick to answer the phone, too.
7. Hodgdon - Nice, quick to get the call, but only marginally helpful.
8. Hornady - Very polite, very helpful, and prompt on the phone.
9. Sierra - quick to get the phone, but rude enough that I won't shoot their bullets anymore. The jerk actually questioned my need to know recommended muzzle or impact velocities for their bullets, which I consider mission critical information.
10. Speer - Polite, but a little bit politically correct as far as their answers. I suspect this has much to do with being part of a huge multinational conglomerate.
11. CZ - Very nice, very helpful, despite having to break some bad news about availability of product. Quick on the phone and email.
12. Burris - Helpful, but not terribly pleasant about it. Long hold time. Took care of my problem but it took several weeks.
13. Bushnell - Polite, helpful, and committed to solving the problem over the phone.

As JD said:

Cost is about $150 and turn around time is less than 2 weeks.

I just called and talked to Leupold and you guys are correct, M1 dials are $130 turn around right around 2 weeks.

HeathSexton":pavjboma said:
I just called and talked to Leupold and you guys are correct, M1 dials are $130 turn around right around 2 weeks.

Do you send in the scope to get the dials?

JD338

dubyam":3uqlkuzu said:
Not to hijack the thread, but does that speak to a QC issue that they might have 75 people waiting on the phone at one time? Just thinking about it. I've called the following shooting related folks with these results:

4. Remington - Awful. Two weeks to answer email, and then the answer was not even really an answer to my question. Unable to provide data or guidance for Remington branded component bullets I wanted to load. Unwilling to discuss rifle accuracy with any sort of commitment - just kept telling me they made "some of the most accurate rifles in the world."

YOU AIN'T LYING!

JD338":j2f3hrpq said:
HeathSexton":j2f3hrpq said:

Do you send in the scope to get the dials?

JD338

JD338, yep you send it in to Leupold. I called and told them I had an older model VariXII 4-12x40 with friction adjust and asked if it could be changed to click adjust with M1 target knobs.

"Yes sir, that will not be a problem, just send us the scope and we will take care of it, cost is $130 to replace and return."

You guys rekon the m1's are the way to go or should I get a BDC type reticle? We are going to be setting up some steel that will be running out ot 760yds, I am thinking the dials are the way to fly but I know you guys do a lot more long range shooting than I do.

Heath

Great! M1 dials are the way to go. Let us know when you get your scope back and we will help you get set up.

What load are you shooting? Has it been chronographed?

Plug your data into the ballistic calculator, verify zeros and you will be shooting steel at 700 yds no problem. The most difficult part of this will be reading the wind. :wink:
http://www.biggameinfo.com/

Go to ballistic calculator, advanced ballistic calculator and plug in the data.
cal
bullet weight
bullet BC
MV
altitude
temperature
zero range
select range increments (I use 50 yds out to 1000 yds)
MOA come ups

Sight in your rifle for 100-200 yds and then adjust your dials to calibrate on the 0.

Actually its pretty easy, you will be a pro in no time.

JD338

I use biggameinfo all the time... that calcualtor is extremely close -

Given you put the correct info in... :wink:

I have found biggameinfo to be pretty close too, thats why you always need to confirm your zeros at various ranges.

JD338

I have the pointblank program and it has worked pretty well. I had an Elite 4200 4-16 with turrets on a .243 that I used out to 450yds but I traded that scope off. I am either going to run the same load with the .243 or work one up for my 7mmRM. It is a Ruger MKII and has shown some great groups in the past. I have never really used the gun because it is a bit much and unhandy for my 50yd shots from a treestand. I would like to run some 162BTHP's over some H1000. I have not got anything set up yet.

I have never saw the biggameinfo stuff, thanks for the link!

Should I get the m1 turrets or the Leupold target turrets? The m1's do not have a cap to cover them where the target turrets have a replaceable cap.

Other than that are there any differences?

Thanks

The M1's are nice because they are suppose to be more rugged and they do look better, and I like the fact that you have only 1 big allen screw instead of 3 little @$$ ones when you need to rezero the knob. I"ve only stripped 1 of the little screws out in 10 years and literally hundreds of times of zero changes, but it does happen. Not sure it would happen with that 1 big hex screw on the M1 tho.

When I"m hunting, I leave my caps off the regular knobs anyways, there still weatherproof without them on, so its not realy a major concern for me anyways.

Go with whatever you like. They both really do the same thing in the end...

Just a note on QC and wait time when calling Leaupold. I called friday because my VX-II is in for a check-up after getting slammed around during a panic stop. (Rifle flew of the back seat at 60+ mph slapped into the back of the seat and fell scope first on the transmission tunnel...it needed a check-up) any how, I started thinking ...after I sent it in...maybe I should havea target dot reticle installed while its there. So I called on Friday. I was maybe 8th in line 1/2 an hour after they opened. I dont think I waited 15 minutes before the fella got on the line and listened to my whole story. Answered my questions about how big the dot actually would appear, went and found my scope, and had the paper work changed, before I could ask "how much". When he told me $60 bucks I chickened out and said no thanks. I was all appologetic, he was very polite about the whole thing, said "no problem" and assured me he would walk it back to the shop himself. The whole thing took less than a half hour, but if you had to wait I expect it was my fault. :roll:

We will have to wait ands see if they fix my problem to my satisfaction, but so far I caint complain.... CL

Back