Leupold Reticles

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I was looking at the different reticules they offer and saw what they call a prioritized Leupold dot. Which has tapered cross hairs with the dot in the center.
Was wondering if any one has used this in a hunting plat form and how they worked for low light or how easy it was to pick up when tracking a moving target?

TD I have been wondering the exact same thing. I have no experience with this kind of scope but would like to try one out someday to see how it works for me.

I read some where that Leupold and Burris used some of the same reticules and have 2 Burris pistol scopes with 1x with etched dots in them I use for Bullseye competition, if they're the same they might work out for hunting.

I have a "custom shop" target dot in a VX-II. Its 2-7with a dot that covers a 2 inches at 4x, at 100yds. I was looking to get the affect of Dads k-4 Weaver. I did not. The actual cross hairs are so thin the dot "floats" in space much of the day. Dawn and dusk there is just a dot. I like it - but a low light optic is not where it is at its best. It is quick and a great simple range finder. If the dot is bigger that the deers nose at 4x he's probably over 100 yards. Quick, easy, deadly at close range (100yds or less) on my slug gun. I was afraid with the luey dot I would pick the wrong "point of aim" for those quick shots....don't know.... This year both shots a took were well over 100yds. As a range finder I think it works. The Luey dot is smaller than mine. You should be able to find what it subtends at 100 yds. I forget the exact amount. Contact Leupold, I told them what I wanted and they had options beyond those pictured and they may be able to give some opinions passed on by other shooters. CL

I had a dot reticle scope and it's main use was punching holes in paper on well lit ranges...and it excels at that.

When it went on a hunting rifle, the dot was just too easy to lose track of in the background, particularly at low light. I traded it off shortly thereafter.

hodgeman":3ha28une said:
I had a dot reticle scope and it's main use was punching holes in paper on well lit ranges...and it excels at that.

When it went on a hunting rifle, the dot was just too easy to lose track of in the background, particularly at low light. I traded it off shortly thereafter.
Thanks for the answer that is what I was looking for.

For money it's very hard toGP wrong with a german #4 or post duplex reticle for hunting on mid range rifles, german #1 post for close range, and a simple ranging reticle for long range like a mil dot or LR duplex.

I've got an older 6x with the "Leupold Dot" and tapered crosshairs. I really like that scope, and have it on a .30-06 that my son has used a lot the last few years taking two bears and two whitetail bucks.

The dot subtends 1.9 MOA according to Leupold, and is real easy to use. Put the dot on the vitals and squeeze. Go notch the tag.

It is not all that great in low light, the crosshairs get hard to see. Otherwise, it's great. Very simple. John hasn't missed yet with it. Four shots, four hits, one at 320 yards. One as close as about 40 yards. I find the dot is Very Easy to focus on, quickly.

It's worth considering, though the tapered crosshairs are not the best in low light.

Regards, Guy

Surprising you mention the German #1 post since it was in the first scope I ever bought an old Weaver 2.5X back in the late 1960's. The variables were just getting affordable and the fixed power scopes were a cheap alternative. There was an old style duplex reticule that tapered into a fine cross hair I was fond of that has been discontinued long ago. I've been using target dot scopes on my pistols for a long time and seem to favor a target style reticule. This Leupold dot reticule cross hairs tapper down to the dot in the center and that is what has me interested.

Guy thanks for that info, that's the reticule I'm looking at.

I have a #4 reticle in my 1.5-5x22 VX3 which is on my 9.3x74R. I have 3, #4 reticles altogether and like them for hunting.

I am wanting to change both of my 6x36 Leupold's to the LR Duplex, I really like the Burris Ballistic Plex and the LR duplex is very similar. Right now the one 6x36 has a standard crosshair which works fine the other has an old tapered crosshair called the CPC reticle that is fine for daylight but isn't the best for low light situations. The CPC would work just fine for sheep and goat hunting though which are rarely ever shot at dusk or early dawn anyway.

I would like to get a 6x36 or 6x42 with a CDS turret and with german #4 or post duplex for my lightweight 270. I think that would be about perfect

c4de757f82c2c791ba8860b05f93af01.jpg

That would be a good way to go too, turrets on a 6x Leupold would be nice and that reticle is going to stand out nicely at low light.

I really like the #4 and the #1 German. My first Scout had a #1 Post that I ordered from Premier Reticle back in the day.

Good in low light but also plenty precise for longer range shot placement. Best of both worlds.

If you haven't seen on yet, Leupold Post and Duplex reticle is very much a #4 done right. I have two Leupold's with their version of the #4 and the VXR is very decent, while the VX6 #4 isn't really worth the price of admission. The thick bars are spaced way too far apart to be usefel. Sort of a non issue as it is illuminated as well.

I have one 3.5x10 with a P&D reticle and I love it. Thinking I am going to get the 6X with the P&D with an M1 dial.. Might turn out to be one of my favorite scopes..

All the G#4's I've looked at the center cross hair has been very narrow and when you sight in on a black or dark target you loss the center and can only see the thick cross bars. I was looking at the Z3 with the 4A reticule and that looks a lot better than a standard G#4.

Back