Leupold Service?

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
Has anyone here had to send their scope in to get fixed? Can you explain the proccess to me? I have an old Vari-X II that the old turn screw adjustment knob quit working. I have sent and email to the product service address but have heard nothing back. Any help would be appreciated.

I've never sent a scope back to Leupold, but I have sent scopes back to another well-known manufacturer. I simply boxed the scope securely, insured it against loss and mailed it together with written instructions of my concerns. This was with Zeiss, and I had the scope back within a couple of weeks. My observation is that Leupold is as good, or better, based upon sending the scopes of others for repair.

Thanks Dr Mike! Does anyone know if I can get those old turn screws upgraded to 1/4 inch click adjustments?

I'd give a phone call to 1-800-LEUPOLD (538=7653), asking to speak with a service tech. Sometimes, Emails can get lost, but a phone call normally is answered pretty quickly.

Or send them an email and they will give you a work order number to send it back. I sent them a 3-9x40 VX2 last spring and they returned it in 2 weeks repaired and working better than ever. Great service!

SE

Call them. They will give you instructions.
Turn around is 2 week tops.

Leupold is first class, they will get you up and running quick.

JD338

I sent in my gold ring and it could not be repaired they sent me a new scope delivered to my house in less than a week.
Excellent service :)

Blessings,
Dan

Sorry guys- but Leupold just took a month to get a scope back to me. Click turret and a reticle change and a check up. One bit of advice dont send them stuff USPostal Service. They only get stuff from ther postal box once a week, so it just sits there(thats what I was told). Also, my completed scope set in a UPS limbo for a week on the way back.
All that said, they were very friendly with my repeated "where's my scope" calls, helpful and knowledgable, although I realy didnt get the reticle I had hoped for. Cross hairs are just too fine. but maybe that part is my fault. CL

Sorry to hear that you had these issues with your scope repair. Thanks for the heads up on USPS about slow service. I used Fedex 2nd day and will continue to do so.

From January...
I have a Vari XIII in 6.5-20x40, that I bought new in '82. The first rifle I put it was a pre '64 .30-06. I carried around that rifle for about 6 years, then I pulled the scope and installed it on a .22-250.

It was on the 'Coyote' rifle for about 10 years, with a lot of scabbard use.
Then I gave the rifle to my Daughter, with open sights, to use.
So I put the scope on a 7 mag, in a Model 700, that was 1st year production, for a few years.

Then I decided to put it on a .223 WSSM, but had too many irons in the fire, and just got the barrel broke in.

So I thought I would send it back to Leupold to have the reticule changed to TMR, and a target knob installed on the elevation turret.

Then I would install it on the .300 WSM that Chris (LSR) made for me. And work on the drop chart.

Last night Leupold called me and said the threads on the elevation turret are damaged, and they are giving me a new scope, under Warranty.

Got to hand it to Leupold for their service.

Too Tall, that is great service on a Leupold that old. I have heard others have the same experience.

Too tall,
Thats a "service record"! for that scope. Good too hear. Issues aside I expct the same from mine. Cant wait to get the new one going. CL

Just wanted to let you guys know that I sent in the scope a couple weeks ago. leupold called the other day and said they could fix the issue but couldn't upgrade me to new 1/4 inch click adjustments. i guess my scope is too old. made in the 70's I think. So I guess I should be getting it back soon.

A good buddy of mine rolled his quad in Alaska this fall and bent his scope. I'm not sure what modle it was, but they don't make it anymore. He sent it in to be repaired, they called him back told him that he had two choices. Because his scope was no longer in production, and was beyond repair, he could get a VX-3 3.5-10x40, or get a VX-3 4.5-14x40AO. His last scope was an AO modle so that is why they gave him the choice. He chose the 4.5-14, and they took his target turrets off his old scope and put them on his new scope and he had it back in two weeks.

I'm done screwing around with other brands of scope, with a great product and service like that, why bother?

Interestingly, while hunting in the Toad River area, the strap on my 350 RM broke, dumping my rifle on the scope. When I checked it for zero, I found the windage to be off by over 14 inches. Though I was able to adjust the scope, I opted to send it to Leupold to have it checked. They assessed that the tube was out of round by 0.020 inches. They are putting a new tube on it. The service will be about $125, which is much better than a new scope. Plus, I will have a scope that is rezeroed and recharged with inert gas, which should (barring another drop or other such maladventure) give me a lifetime of service and something to pass on to my grandchildren.

That sounds like a reasonable charge for that damage correction. I would have certainly done the same.

I'm not displeased at all. The charge seems entirely reasonable for something that has nothing to do with their workmanship. I should have this scope back any day now.

DrMike":q1jvek1n said:
Interestingly, while hunting in the Toad River area, the strap on my 350 RM broke, dumping my rifle on the scope. When I checked it for zero, I found the windage to be off by over 14 inches. Though I was able to adjust the scope, I opted to send it to Leupold to have it checked. They assessed that the tube was out of round by 0.020 inches. They are putting a new tube on it. The service will be about $125, which is much better than a new scope. Plus, I will have a scope that is rezeroed and recharged with inert gas, which should (barring another drop or other such maladventure) give me a lifetime of service and something to pass on to my grandchildren.

I did about the same thing to my 3.5-10 Vari-XIII.
Broke thru some ice crossing a frozen river elk hunting and slammed my rifle on the ice, bending the front objective down a bit. Sent it to Leupold, they told me I could buy a new scope.
So I did, a Burris.
I know it wasn't their fault, but I guess I expected a little more than that.
I would have been happy with the deal you got.

Back