Leupold Vari X III

JMUPT

Beginner
Dec 22, 2006
I'm looking for a little advice here I hope someone can help. I was at cabelas this weekend and picked up a tang safety ruger 77 in 6mm with a 6.5X20X40 leupold Vari X III. The gun is in great condition and the scope is too. When I got the gun home and looked through the scope more extensively a darker circle appears around the outside edge as I turn the power from 6.5 to 20, as the magnification increases so does the darker circle. The circle extends about a 1/4 of the way in from outside edge when the power is turned up to 20. This doesn't seem normal to me but I have never had a vari X III. I'm just looking to see if this is something that is normal with these scopes or if I should go ahead and send it back to leupold. Thanks for any help you can give.

JMUPT

That doesn't sound right. I would call Leupold customer service and explain it to them. They will most likely ask that you return it to them for evaluation and correct the problem. You should have it back in about 2 weeks ready to go.
Let us know what Leupold says.

JD338

What you describe is not at all normal. JD338 is correct. Phone Leupold; they will treat you right. The Vari-X III is an exceptionally clear scope.

Thats pretty much what I was thinking I will be calling them tomorrow. Thanks for the quick responses, I will keep you updated.

JMUPT

Here is the number for Leupold-
503 646 9171

JD338

Almost sounds like the scope is mounted with the eye relief not right. Move your head forward and back and see if the darkness goes away. I have that same scope on a 204ruger chambered Savage and no problem. I also have a bunch of other Leupold's and have never seen that problem unless the eye relief was wrong.
Just a thought.

Divernhunter":2mxdl7eo said:
Almost sounds like the scope is mounted with the eye relief not right. Move your head forward and back and see if the darkness goes away. I have that same scope on a 204ruger chambered Savage and no problem. I also have a bunch of other Leupold's and have never seen that problem unless the eye relief was wrong.
Just a thought.

I was thinking the same thing. The scope must have been mounted with the eye relief set at lower magnification.

Eye relief will change about 1" when going from 6x to 20x. Longer relief at less power, and shorter relief with more power.

You need to get it set up to where your eye relief is good on 20x.

Doesn't really sound like a scope problem to me, but if anything, call Leupold and tell them the problem. More then likely they'll tell ya to send it in and have them look at it and you should get it back within 2 weeks.

Ok so I feel really stupid. I went and took the scope off to send back to leupold, once it was off I was looking at the eye piece and I could see a ring around glass that I couldn't see when it was on the gun, so a minute or so with my optics cleaning kit and the ring was gone and the scope was as good as new. I had wiped the lens's off with a optics cloth once i got it home but never did see the ring until the scope was off the gun. Thanks for the responses.

Back