Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 or Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40?

Scott Spencer

Handloader
Mar 27, 2008
Which would be the better choice for my .338 WM?
I can get a show sample Conquest with Z-Plex (from Doug @ CameraLand) for $389 or I can keep looking for a Leup VX-III 3.5-10x 40 B&C on closeout (about $400-$450). So far I haven't had a lot of luck on finding the discounted Leupold. Cabelas and a couple of other places are sold out.

I've always used Leupold but would really like to try the Zeiss. I've looked through it and like it but would I be better off with a Leupold and the B&C reticle?

Not trying to stir up a Ford/Chevy argument....just need some first hand experience comments.

Thanks!

I can only speak of the Leupold but their customer service is second to none.

JD338

Scott,

I started with Lyman scopes back in the 50's and acquired some others as well including Hensoldt, Unertl and others.

Then when Lyman stopped making scopes I got 10 new Leupolds. They were good scopes but their crosshairs fade and turn pink when you aim towards some light!

Then I got my first new Ziess Conquest and its far superior in optics to the Leupolds. Their crosshairs stay sharp and black! I now have 7 Zeiss.

Cameraland is the best source of new scopes that I know of

Thanks, guys. I'll keep looking around for both scopes and even check ebay. I've found a couple of good prices for them on there.

I have several Conquests and I can see no faults in them. I just ordered my 1st Leupold (VXIII 2.5 x 8 x 36). Only reason is I wanted a lighter scope for my 7m-08.

I am anxious to see how well I like the Leupy, but I am still a Conquest fan.

Long

longwinters":32f9poba said:
I have several Conquests and I can see no faults in them. I just ordered my 1st Leupold (VXIII 2.5 x 8 x 36). Only reason is I wanted a lighter scope for my 7m-08.

I am anxious to see how well I like the Leupy, but I am still a Conquest fan.

Long

Long,

Congratulations on the VXIII 2.5x8. Its a great scope for deer hunting in the UP. I think you will be happy with it. Let us know what you think.

JD338

So you can get a Zeiss cheaper than a Leupy? I'd be all over that Zeiss like stink on sh... uh, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I have multiple examples of both scopes, and like each of them. You can't go wrong. Leupold likely has the better service, should it be needed (at least that is true here in Canada). However, the price on the Conquests often seems to be somewhat better. Bottom line--you won't go wrong with either one.

Back