Leupolds VX scopes

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
I own several different Leupold scopes having been a very satisfied customer over the years.

What I want to know is what is the difference in the quality between the VX-1, VX-2 and VX-3 lines?

I notice the difference in the clarity especially in low light conditions between the VX-1 and VX-3 but the jump from VX-2 to VX-3 is where I have the heardest time telling the difference.

Is the glass that much better coated and higher quality to spend the extra 100.00 - 200.00 on the VX-3s?

Just sold a nice VX-3 because I needed the money but when I go to replace it next summer I am wondering if I shouldn't just get a VX-2 and save the extra dough.

The VX2 line is the equivalent of the old VX-III line. They are very good scopes for the money. The VX3 scopes are worth the extra money to me. However, one must know that he/she is paying for an extra 10 to 15 minutes at either end of the day. Few people spend hours looking through their scope, so the differences that could be noted in colour fidelity and other optical aspects likely aren't that important to most.

I agree with DrMike. My son had a VX2 and I was using a VX3 and at end of day he could not see the deer that had stepped out at 60 yds but the VX3 was still able to make it out enough to make a shot.

I have both the VX2 and VX3 and i agree the VX3 does tend to put out a little more at dusk and dawn compared to the VX2. The VX2 is an awesome scope for the price.

The problem that I always had with the old VXII was flare. The new VX2 controls flare much better. If I had to get buy with a scope for a low price, I would pick the VX2 as being a lot of scope for the money. Whereas I have sold all of my older VX II's

I have a very old Vari X ll . A newer Rifleman scope is much clearer/brighter. A newer VX2 is better still. Next will be a VX3.

The vx2 are a very good buy, one of the better bang for your buck out there. You will notice a difference between the Vx2 and Vx3 but I wouldn't feel bad with the Vx2 of the budget wasn't there for a vx3. I have several of both and am happy with them. I'm very impressed with the VX2 3-9x40 with CDS. You can't find a better scope in the price point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used Leuys for over 40 years and still trust them for performance and service.
I had a the old gold ring VXll on my 270 win for over 25 years and it never failed to keep its zero. However it gave up the fight a few years ago and I sent it in on a Tuesday and the following Monday I received a VXl which I traded on a Minox bad trade in my opinion as my Son was using it on it first hunt and the reticle fell off :lol:. I thought it was kinda funny but he did not as he had just knelt down to shoot a cow elk :evil:!

Blessings,
Dan

Back