Lever weekend.

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I decided on Friday that this will be a lever weekend at the range.

I included my 1895 405 Winchester, my 1873 44-40, my 71 in 348 Win and my 1886 takedown in 45-90.

They all faired very well. All shooting was done at 50 yards for target and then different ranges for fun.

This is a picture of the 348 and 45-90
ZpsFc9X.jpg

348 was shooting 157 grain hammers at 2935 fps. Very accurate load and a thumper. Disappointed at Hornady for discontinuing their 348 bullets for loading!

45-90 did 300 TSX at 2280 fps not a max load

IwLfOtx.jpeg

the 44-40 was shooting 200 xtp at 1300 fps via RL7.
P95LfNF.jpg

This is the best 2 groups I ever got at 100 with it. Just open sights.

m5LJ7Vj.jpg

The 405 did 2256 fps with the 300 Hornady SP

ErXtj7c.jpg

We had a blast!

Last edited:
I love levers and those look absolutely fantastic! A takedown 45-90? Where has this been all my life?

Fotis - not shooting as well as you - but I've been loading 30-30 lately and pulled the 45-70 out of the safe and gave it a good once-over. It's become quite a rifle, but I'm about to upgrade the scope bases. The old 63A (no longer made) seems to be a weak point on the "return to zero" when I use the QD rings. I'm trying to sort it out and a new set of Warne bases seems in order. Other than that, my 45-70 Marlin seems rather well sorted.

Lever action rifles are pretty doggone cool...

Guy

That is quite a line-up of fine rifles. You have them all shooting very well. Are you going to hunt with any of them this year?

Fotis - not shooting as well as you - but I've been loading 30-30 lately and pulled the 45-70 out of the safe and gave it a good once-over. It's become quite a rifle, but I'm about to upgrade the scope bases. The old 63A (no longer made) seems to be a weak point on the "return to zero" when I use the QD rings. I'm trying to sort it out and a new set of Warne bases seems in order. Other than that, my 45-70 Marlin seems rather well sorted.

Lever action rifles are pretty doggone cool...

Guy
Had same issues with return to zero with qr rings.

LOL I meant the pictures in this post.

If I could see like I use to these would be 100 yard groups....sans 44-40 which are

Fotis, glad you found some .405 brass/components. Where on earth did you dig those up? Everyone, every single dude I know with a .405 has been unable to find brass or ammo.

Awesome guns!

I got a 405win last fall.

Have managed to scrounge up 6 boxes of Hornady factory ammo.

Got the Williams sight on it, now just gotta get to the range. Unfortunately, tore a tendon in left elbow, so am OOS for a bit. Hope the doc gets it sorted out by deer season.

Back