Limbsaver Barrel De-resonater

TBASTIAN

Handloader
Jul 1, 2006
Has anyone tried these? Looking at the reviews on MidwayUSA.com, I thought I couldn't go wrong in buying one of these. I had hoped that it would shrink my groups, as promised.

I used it on a Weatherby Mark V, and it actually increased the group sizes, at multiple locations. Is there a trick I'm missing to making this work, or is it just another gimmick? Thanks.
-TB

Those things play with barrel harmonics. I have played alot of guitar and I understand what harmonics are but I think you could have the same results wrapping your finger around the barrel.
Just don't get it too close to the muzzle :lol:

The changed barrel harmonics will probably not give you better groups with the same load; you'll need to develop a load for it. I would imagine the effect on harmonics of the device would be much more consistent than wrapping a finger around the barrel.

I'm not promoting or discounting the product, just addressing the physics of the matter.

Andy

TBASTIAN":2ou9vq99 said:
Has anyone tried these? Looking at the reviews on MidwayUSA.com, I thought I couldn't go wrong in buying one of these. I had hoped that it would shrink my groups, as promised.

I used it on a Weatherby Mark V, and it actually increased the group sizes, at multiple locations. Is there a trick I'm missing to making this work, or is it just another gimmick? Thanks.
-TB
.......................Yes, I use one! It will give smaller groups with factory ammo as opposed to not using one. It does reduce the barrel`s harmonic resonance (the correct term)....Since each rifle is individually different, the real trick is finding the sweet spot for the resonator on your particular barrel and load........For the same batch of reloads (same components), start with the resonator 3/4" away (no closer) from the stock, then fire 3 rounds. Before each new 3 shot group is fired, move the resonator in 1" increments towards the muzzle. Then determine and write down at what distance from the stock the resonator was positioned, that gave you the best grouping. When your reloading componentry changes repeat the same process!..............Make sure to be very generous with some gun oil and lube it up real good so it slides on and off easier. It is a tight fit..... More than likely, if by chance someone didn`t get better accuracy using the resonator, they didn`t do the above or experiment enough............If you watch the Outdoor Channel, you`ll always see a resonator on Eastman`s Weatherby. I`ve seen resonators on other shows too!

Back