Load density question

MNsportsman60

Beginner
Apr 23, 2007
Question for you knowledgeable reloaders......I am looking at some of the load listings for the 06 and for the 200 gr AB and RL-22 I see 3 different powder charges and the corresponding velocities and then on the far right I see Load density's of up to 98% at 58 grns. This would be a max load, right?

But if I look at H414 the load density goes from 82-89% and at 89% is 120fps slower. Is the the 89% the "max load" for that powder choice?

Can you take the H414 up to 98% like the RL -22 and make up some of that velocity difference or whould pressure be to high? Otherwise why would you consider H414?

Can someone give me the laymans answer for the "load density" and how those numbers are determined.

Thanks

Steve

Load density has to do with the amount of powder filling the case. Max load has to do with the pressure generated at that powder charge. Two different animals.Rick.

Exactly what Rick said, no correlation between density & pressure. It has to do w/ the burn rate of the powders used. A slower powder builds pressure slower than a medium or fast burner. Usually, loads showing 100%+ density are lower pressure loads because the powders are much slower in order to get that 100% density. H414 is a medium burn pwoder, RL22 is a slower burn rate. Check some of the powder web sites & one of your manulas to see the powder burn rate chart. Maybe it will come together for you.

Rick & Fredj, thanks for the info....I get it now. I didn't realize that there would be that much difference in burn rate for the powders that work well in the 06. I have a reloading manual that shows many different loads and what is the max load but the manual doesn't show the load density. First time I came across it was on this site.

Thanks again

Steve

Rick and Fred are spot on, case capacity. Its always better to have a full case of powder for consistant accuracy.

RL22 is a good choice for your 30-06 and the 200 gr AB.
Keep in mind that the reloading data published in ANY reloading source is a guide only. ALWAYS start low and work up to the max listing, watching for pressure signs.
I load for accuracy first, speed second and many of my loads come in a grain less than the max loads.

JD338

Back