Load work up for 338 Lapua

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
Haven't posted in quite some time....but I decided I had been a good boy this year & ordered a savage 110 fcp hs in 338 Lapua. I'll be picking it up this weekend and hopefully get a chance to start working up some loads. I've got some Lapua brass and some 285gr hornady bthp & 300gr SMK's to start with. For powder I've got a can of retumbo, h1000 and imr-7828. Any other powders you guys think would be worth trying? I'm guessing, from what I've read, that either retumbo or h1000 will likely be the winner. I'm very anxious for nosler to actually release the 300gr accubonds....I think those are going to be absolute hammers out of this rifle for long range hunting!

Not sure how many of you are reloading for the 338 Lapua but this will be a new caliber for me, so if you have any helpful hints or pet loads I'd love to hear them!

Thanks,

Tim

I load for the ballistic twin, the 338 RUM. Retumbo works very well with 250 gr bullets. You should get similar results.

Just a heads up, Nosler is going to introduce a 300 gr AB this year. The BC is .720.

JD338

JD338":uzvt5t2g said:
I load for the ballistic twin, the 338 RUM. Retumbo works very well with 250 gr bullets. You should get similar results.

Just a heads up, Nosler is going to introduce a 300 gr AB this year. The BC is .720.

JD338

Thanks. I actually emailed them about the accubonds and they were hoping to have them out in February. I hope thats true as that would be very good timing for me!

I swear I've lost sleep lately being so excited to get my hands on this rifle and run some lead through it!

YEs, was told the same. I can't wait to try them in my 338 RUM.

Congratualtions on your new rifle. Post some pictures when you get her home.

JD338

Just got mine a couple of weeks ago. TRG 42. I've only tried one bullet and powder with 2 different charge weights. Started with 225 grn SST loaded with 87 grn Reloader 22. Velocity avg was 2921. Used these to get on target and generally see what shooting it was like. Bumped up the powder charge 2 grains and velocity increased to 3009. Fired a 3 shot group at 300 yds that measured 1.8". Also shot 3 of the factory Lapua 250 grain Scenars at 300 yds that measured 1 5/8". I think another powder worth looking will be the VhitaVouri N560. QuickLoad predicts it should work well. I think it might be what the factory shells are loaded with.
2012-01-04152725.jpg
2012-01-04145831.jpg

Shoots, Welcome back to the forum and congrats on joining the 338 Lapua crowd

338 Lapua needed a slow burning powder to fully utilized it's full potential. With my 338, I use Retumbo and Reloader 25. Other 338 Lapua shooters is getting good result with H1000 also. I feed my rifle nothing but 300 grain SMK, just because my barrel has 9.3 twist rate. Also being an improved version and a single shot, I can seat the bullet further out thereby increasing powder capacity a bit.

Hodgdon Reloading Data Center is your best source of reloading data for the 338 Lapua. Good Luck and show us some group.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Desert Fox":32rayso5 said:
Shoots, Welcome back to the forum and congrats on joining the 338 Lapua crowd

338 Lapua needed a slow burning powder to fully utilized it's full potential. With my 338, I use Retumbo and Reloader 25. Other 338 Lapua shooters is getting good result with H1000 also. I feed my rifle nothing but 300 grain SMK, just because my barrel has 9.3 twist rate. Also being an improved version and a single shot, I can seat the bullet further out thereby increasing powder capacity a bit.

Hodgdon Reloading Data Center is your best source of reloading data for the 338 Lapua. Good Luck and show us some group.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

How temperature sensitive is the RL 25? I looked at using it but had heard that the hodgdon extreme powders were less sensitive in regards to temperature and I'll be shooting this rifle year round. The savage has a 1:9 twist so I'll likely be using the heavier pills as well, but will probably give some 250's a try at some point just for fun. I'm hoping that the 285gr will be a perfect compromise between higher weight/BC & speed/accuracy.....

I was curious about the US869 as it seemed to show very good velocity but wasn't able to find any locally. Anyone ever try it?

shoots,

What is the BC of the Hornady 285 gr?

I have used RL 25 in my 338 RUM and got excellent accuracy but switched to Retumbo for more speed and excellent accuracy.

JD338

I think hornady lists it at .720, but I'm not sure if you've seen the bullet testing they did over at sniper's hide but they figured it to be .685 G1 and .348 G7.

Just got my components that I ordered and I'll be picking up the rifle this weekend! I do have a question though.... With the Lapua brass (never used it before) should I just neck size it to load it the first time or full length size it? I'll get a range report up when I can after this weekend.

Back