Loading Questions from a Newbe

Lyman Man

Beginner
Oct 22, 2006
Hi ,

I have been searching for load info on Noslers for recommended Load Data for .50 cal using T7 FFGg & or FFFG
using Partition HG 260 gr & 250 gr SHOTS & Winchester T7 209 primers

Has anyone ever chrono'd any of these?

I am trying to get an idea of what I need for mule deer and also hogs.

I looked at Hogdon but no info on Nosler for RS or T7

Can anyone help me?

Lyman Man,

This year I figured out that 100 gr (by vol. measure) is The H777 Load. How does that compare with what the package says?

jim

The package says recommended load 90gr everybody else says 100gr for hunting loads.
I'll see waht my rifle manufacturer recommends also once I get the rifle.
Its on back order.

Seems like I shoudl start at 90 and work up

Lyman Man,

I was shooting 90 gr (by volume) too, and not happy with the accuracy. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. When I moved up to 100, the accuracy improved. I didn't try more, I will worry about that when the season is over.

jim

My 50 cal 700ML w/ a Leupold M8 4x Hvy Dplx reticle shoots the 45 cal 260 gr PT w/ 100 gr Triple 7 to around 1-1.25" at 100 yds.
This bullet is very effective on WT deer.

JD338

Thanks,
I will try 100 grains triple seven next time out.
I shot my Lyman Mustang for the first time on Friday and went with the 90grain recommendation on the package.
I had a cross wind blowing right to left and noticed that all my 250 gr shots and 260 gr partitions as well as my 260 gr winchester platinum tips hit to the left of the bullseye. I thought the winchesters might be alittle better because of the lack of a cannelure but when I tried out the barnes spitfires they all hit dead center 3" high.The elevation was right with all bullets at 3" high at 50yds with open sights.
I think that the 100 grain charge will improve things.
Right now the barnes appear to be more aerodynamic and not as easily affected by a cross wind.
I hunt deer in D14 (Southern California) which is lead core only so the Barnes are out for deer hunting.
I may or may not put a scope on it. I have an NRA Optics 3-9x40mm fast focus with #5 ballistic recticle that I am debating with myself on. It was for my 7MM but I really like this rifle better.

But I will say that it is one sweet rifle.
I am completely satisfied with this one and I think I'll be using it more than my 7mm Rem Mag.

Now I hope that Lyman will come out with a shotgun barrel for it and I'll have a great turkey gun too!

I really wish Nosler would make a rifle bullet like a 45/70 .458 semi spitzer either boat tail or flat base. The longer profile would be really nice not to mention the BC and SD improvements.
I'm hooked on muzzle loading.
I'm going to go to the range again this week and it will be 100 grains triple seven charges for all bullets and at least another pound of powder.

Back