Nosler 70-gr .224" RDFs for hunting?

RiverRider

Handloader
Dec 9, 2008
So...I conducted an inventory on my bullet stash the other day and found I am sitting pretty. Among the bullets counted was about 500 of the 70-grain RDFs which I originally bought to try out in a Model 70 HB some years ago (before I found out the rifling was trashed in the original barrel) in sheer desperation. Once I replaced the barrel I had no problem getting my favored 50-grain BTs to work quite well.

In years past I would never have considered the question, but in 2022 I'm a little more open to the things I ordinarily consider to be unconventional.

Anyway, I searched the forum here this afternoon to find out how these RDFs might work on game. If they can be recommended, they'd be used in an AR15 on hogs. I have enough 70-grain Accubonds and 65-grain Game Kings to get by for a time, so I am trying to decide whether I should sell the RDFs or hang on to them and use them. I can push them to a little over 2800 fps using Leverevolution and I'm wondering if they'll expand, hold together, and penetrate sufficiently. I could not find any definitive pronouncements here, one way or the other.

Anyone got anything?

I tested 140gr RDF a few years ago in water jugs

RL338, I saw that...it's encouraging and suggests that they may work. Maybe I'll just have to load some up and take em down to "the ranch" and see how the hogs like em. I could be surprised or I could be disappointed. I think I'm allowed to bring along some AB loads just in case they don't do the job. ;)

Back