Loads 60 gr partition in AR-15 Rifle

Jarhead37

Beginner
Oct 25, 2007
I have a 20" bbl, 1-9 twist AR rifle. Would like to shoot the 60gr Nosler
Partition bullets. Anybody got tried-N-proven loads for this bullet, using
Nosler brass, with this type rifle and barrel length and twist? Also, do I
need to scribe a cannalure on these bullets to prevent slippage under recoil? How much crimp do you apply? Downrange bullistics data would be appreciated as well as accuracy, clean powders vs soot, etc. Most manuals have 223 loads that have been worked-up in 22- 26 inch test barrels, 1-12 twist, or show some "Service Rifle" loads with 68 - 75 gr bullets. This stuff leaves me in a position of having to re-invent the wheel. With the recent massive surge in the popularity of the AR-15 rifle, there must be a lot of you guys with good data using these premium components. Any help will be appreciated. SEMPER FIDELIS.

I have tried Hodgdon Benchmark and Hodgdon H-4895 with 60gr. Nosler Partitions in my 20" 1 in 9" Twist DPMS Panther Bull 20 Fluted AR. So far I have not found a load worth talking about, even trying the Accuracy Load with Benchmark from the Nosler Web Site. So far the best I have come up with is 1 1/2" to 2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

I am really frustrated as this Rifle will normally print 5 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips or 5 55gr. Sierra Hollow Point Boat Tails loaded with H-4895 in Military Brass with either Winchester or Remington 7 1/2 Primers into 1/2" to 3/4" groups at 100 yards all day long.

Larry

Back