location of separating partition 180 g, 30 cal

hmcgee

Beginner
Oct 7, 2015
does nosler or members have any information on the relative position of separating Partition in 180 g 30 cal spitzers and protected points. from pictures in nosler reloading manual it appears the Partition in the protected points is positioned relatively lower? If this is the case what is the reasoning for this difference as it is my understanding the pp was designed for 300 win mag.
hm

I believe the PP design was to increase bearing surface in the relatively short neck of the 300WM, not necessarily to make it "tougher" or to have more weight behind the Partition.

Thanks mr sam. haven't shot this bullet in 300 wm but have loaded it for 308 win for a plains game rifle on an african hunt and they worked superbly on game ranging from impala to eland. all one shot kills and all complete passthroughs except eland. Was impressed by not surprised since mv was in the hi 2600 range and at that speed the bullet performs wonderfully. Anyway i was just curious when i noticed in the nosler manuel the Partition separation was noticeably lower than the same weight in the Partition spitzer. I can understand designing the pp for increased bearing surface or for shorter magazines but wondered why nosler engineers would move the location of the Partition relative to the same weight in the spitzer. guess i could section a bullet and see if this was the case. seems they would move the Partition forward for use in the hi mv 300 wm which would also move weight to the rear of the bvullet rather than moving the Partition to the rear guess i shouldnt worry about it. the bullet works great like other nobler products.

I did not think the Protected Tip was any different than a regular Partition except w/o the lead tip? I had a Mod 70 Classic FWT years ago in 300WM. I used the Protected Tips in its short magazine. I went back to Mod 700's which had a tad longer magazine box. The same with the Speer Mag Tips...my buddy in South Africa used those in his 308 for culling everything, from Blesbuck to Eland. As far as accuracy goes, its really more a factor of the base's condition than the tip of a bullet, out so far anyhow. Long Range, well yeah, ha, everything is a factor!

preacher":1jqcapa7 said:
I did not think the Protected Tip was any different than a regular Partition except w/o the lead tip? I had a Mod 70 Classic FWT years ago in 300WM. I used the Protected Tips in its short magazine. I went back to Mod 700's which had a tad longer magazine box. The same with the Speer Mag Tips...my buddy in South Africa used those in his 308 for culling everything, from Blesbuck to Eland. As far as accuracy goes, its really more a factor of the base's condition than the tip of a bullet, out so far anyhow. Long Range, well yeah, ha, everything is a factor!
>>>>>bingo !!!!!

Well I went and looked... Nosler 7 shows sectioned bullets. Nosler 6 does not. Those are the only Nosler Manuals I have. The Partition picture is a representation of all weights 150, 165, 180 & 200 grains. The PP is only 180 grain. What I see is the opposite of what you are saying. The Partition of the PP is positioned relatively higher, not lower. Having said that I wouldn't assume that the Partition representation is accurate for all weights. I don't even know if it accurate for any weight. The only way to know is to section the different bullets and see. Even if you do that I don't know what that will actually tell you as far as ballistic or terminal performance.
Quote from the Technical Information section in both manuals I have: "If deformation of the lead nose in the magazine box is a problem, our 180-grain Protected Point Partition (or AccuBond - added in Nosler 7) are good option(s).

Back