Long Range Muzzleloader Kill

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I went out tonight for the last hour of daylight to fill a tag with the muzzleloader.
I shoot a 700ML 50 caliber with a Leupold M8 4x scope. My load consist of 100 grs of Triple 7 powder and a Nosler .451 cal 260 gr PT.
I had 3 does come out of the marsh and head up into the apple orchard at 5:00 PM. With a SW wind blowing from the deer to me, the setup was perfect. They were 180 yds away.
At 5:30 PM 5 more does followed the same trail. I had one big doe start feeding on the edge of the orchard. I lasered her with the Swarovski Laser Guide at 167 yds. and set up for the shot. I put the rifle in the Polecat shooting stix and held the cross hairs right on the top of her withers. The trigger broke at 2.5 lbs and the 260 gr PT was sent down range. The SW wind eleminated the smoke cloud so I was able to see her react to the hit through the lungs. She took off on a death run into the hardwoods. I sat back as darkness quickly took over and waited for my buddy to arrive so we could go locate her. She was found about 60 yds away.
The PT performance on this big mature WT doe was excellent at 167 yds, leaving an exit hole about the size of a quarter.

Sorry I can't share a picture, left my camera at home.

JD338

I thought you guys would like to see the set up. I went back out this morning but no shooting.
I did bring the camera this time and took a picture of the set up.
The doe was just in front of the corner apple tree which lasered 169 yds with my Swaro Laser Guide. The doe was lasered at 167 yds when I took the shot. (Just about dead center in the picture near the edge of the hardwoods).

AppleOrchard1.jpg

JD338[/img]

Back