Looked at a Zeiss z600

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
Looked at one in Cabelas this weekend. I don't know if it was just because I was in the store, but it looked lie the cross hair was very small. I found it hard to find when looking at a black bear at about 60 yards on 8x. Looking at it on the white wall it looks great. Anybody have one that can comment on real world use?

Jake -

The Varmint reticle I have in the 6.5 x 20 Zeiss I really like short of what you just mentioned. I works great off the bench or in good light. For that matter, the light gathering capability of the scope is excellent.
The cross-hairs however are very thin and disappear easily in low light situations.

This scope will be coming off my RUM & I'm thinking it may land on my 7-08 or potentially my 22-250.

I definitely like the Zeiss scopes. The optics are superior. However, I must say that I am not enamored of the Rapid Z 600, the Rapid Z 800 or the Rapid Z 1000. Illuminated, they are just fine. We really do depend on the clues offered by lines that extend to the limits of vision. Ergo, Reticles 4, 8, 20 etc. work better for rapid acquisition of game, especially under low light conditions. If I were ordering one of the newer Zeiss scopes, I'd be willing to try the Rapid Z 600 illuminated, but if opting for unillluminated, I'd likely look at Reticle 4 or 8.

The more I screw around with my .243 and the 6-18 Mark2 the more I like Mil dots. They are alot easier to see, and if a guy has time to shoot the ranges (I do) they are alot more versatile. I was really wanting to try a Z600 on my 280 AI, but after looking at one I think Dr. Mike, and powerstroke are right about the lines being to thin, and I don't want to go illuminated. I'll more than likely just keep the 4.5-14x40 that is on it and have some dots put in it. I was going to go with the TMR, but my brother has it and I'm afraid I'll be battling the same thing as the z600.

The 4.5-14 X 40 is a great scope. It will be my next Leupold. At the moment, however, I have a Swarovski Z6 1.7-10 X 42 L BT on order. Somehow, I have to find the shekels to pay for this. I have looked at the Rapid Z 1000 and the Rapid Z 800 in full daylight, and the clarity of the scope is exceptional. However, I keep thinking about hunting the early morning or last light and having a moose or an elk against a treeline, and I back off. For this reason, I tend to go with heavier reticles. Actually, the B & C reticle offered by Leupold works very well for me. Even the TDS reticle in my Swarovskis is a bit fine for my aging eyes.

I love the B&C reticle. I am not a dialer, but I like to have aiming points out to 600 and that scope reticle works for me. My next scope will be the 4.5x14 in either 1" or 30mm tube w/ B&C reticle. Can't imagine a better scope for my hunting. Scotty

jmad -
I have a 6x18 VX-II with the LRVD reticle. Another scope that I really like, but even that one in low light situations is rough to see the complete reticle. I have all intentions of owning a couple more of these.
That one sits atop my .257 Wby that my Wife used this year to take her cow elk with - darn those additional aiming points are sweet !

jmad_81":dohnipjw said:
The more I screw around with my .243 and the 6-18 Mark2 the more I like Mil dots. They are alot easier to see, and if a guy has time to shoot the ranges (I do) they are alot more versatile. I was really wanting to try a Z600 on my 280 AI, but after looking at one I think Dr. Mike, and powerstroke are right about the lines being to thin, and I don't want to go illuminated. I'll more than likely just keep the 4.5-14x40 that is on it and have some dots put in it. I was going to go with the TMR, but my brother has it and I'm afraid I'll be battling the same thing as the z600.

Dang, I thought the TMR would be the bee's knees, having never looked through one.

Hi Jmad,
I use a zeiss scope with an rz800. Love it. Shot a coon a month ago around midnight using just the moon and stars. He was on the ground about 80 yds out. As for the reticle, I have to admit that I basically use just the cross hairs.
Hardpan

Well I'm not looking for a "dial-a kill" scope on this gun anyways. It was built to be a light packing rifle and don't really see the need to shoot much past 600 yards with it, and only in perfect conditions. If I can get closer I will, odds go way up in my favor if I do.

My brothers TMR looks like it is just about as thin as the z600. I do really LOVE how the TMR is open in the center though.

Hardpan, have you ever had a hard time seeing the reticle?

Back