Should I Take The 6.5 To Alaska

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
I’m already taking a .375 Ruger and 45-70 to Alaska when I move. I’m just wondering if I should take the 6.5 Creedmoor as well.

About all I would use it for is sheep, caribou, and goat but I can take those critters with the .375 Ruger as well. So I’m looking for some opinions from those that have hunted or lived in the last frontier.

If you haven’t visited or lived in the last frontier feel free to also comment. My thoughts are, bears are scary and while a 6.5 Creedmoor has more energy than my bear defense pistol, I think I want more energy than the Creedmoor offers.

I’m planning to use the .375 or 45-70 on Sitka deer. Not because the deer are hard to kill but because a rifle shot is like a dinner bell to certain large hungry critters.

I welcome your input be it from real life, reading, watching hunting shows on the idiot tube, or from holding a seance with Elmer Keith.

Thank you,

Vince

I’ve never lived in Alaska, nor have I hunted there. But I sure wouldn’t take a 6.5 Creedmoor with me.

If I wanted something smaller than the .375 or .45-70, I would consider nothing smaller than a .30-06 in Alaska. But that’s my totally ignorant and mostly unsolicited opinion.

While I wouldn't recommend it for goats I would absolutely bring it along. Unless room is a factor I'd bring every one of your firearms along if you're moving for good.
And don't be bearanoid, be bear aware. The previous can get you in trouble morenthan you'd think. Where are you heading in the state?

While the 375 and 45-70 are a couple of good choices if limited to the number of firearms one wants to have in Alaska, there is a lot to be said about having a smaller caliber/cartridge for small and medium game hunting in the the north. A 270/280/30-06 rifle will work well under most circumstances for the smaller and less nasty critters in the far north. I would recommend the heavier bullet weights though. And a step up to a 7mm/300/338 magnum just makes more sense for the larger ungulates, and gives an edge for the bears, not to mention a little more reach for mountains and open tundra.
I have read often that many Alaskan Guides use 338 Win Mags for back up. And that some use the 30-06 with 220 gr bullets.
In the end, I would think that this may come down to personal choice and/or recoil tolerance.
The 308 Win/338 Federal/358 Win are also good choices with 180 gr or heavier bullets, if you want a SA rifle/cartridge combo.

I have always liked reading about the cartridges that Phil Shoemaker uses in Alaska.
In 31 years of guiding, he has only had to dispatch one bear.
For years he packed a 458 Win for back up, then switched to a 416 Rem Mag (which his daughter Tia now uses guiding. She also use a 357 Mag handgun with 180 gr LFN hard cast bullets).
Their advice is "Bring the largest gun you can shoot accurately and are familiar with, preferably one in stainless steel." and "Know your gun, ammo and conditions. Prepare for the worst, and always be on the ready. Listen to your guide! Lastly, relax and enjoy your hunt. You won’t need the fantasy of a charging bear to experience adventure. It’ll come all by itself."

While I do not live in Alaska, I do live in northern BC and have hunted in bear country since I was a kid. Our grizzlies do not get as big as brown bears on the Pacific coast, but their grizzlies are basically the same as ours...and can get up to about 1000 pounds on pad and claw (been within 30 yards a couple of these brutes..was glad to have been a pick up at the time for one, and the other went in the opposite direction when we met on a corner in the trail...was glad I was on a large, sound horse who was used to being around bears in close proximity, and the large bear didn't want to be so close to us and quickly departed). And grizzlies are said to have a nastier disposition than the brownie. And most just want to be somewhere else when they become aware of us. (Hunted bears do act differently than non-hunted bears who quickly learn they have nothing to fear from us)

I have hunted in the mountains where grizzlies are known to frequent, and have a reputation for coming to the dinner bell, with 270's and 280's and on up. Having more than 2000 ft. lbs of energy at the muzzle will still put the hurt on a bear at spitting distance (your CM with a 140 gr bullet carries this out to 100 yards, and a SD of .287 will provide plenty of penetration), if you hit head or big bone in the front end...just continue to shoot until it stops moving. While I may not use my CM on sheep (although when I was much younger, I did shoot my first stones sheep with my 6.5x55) and goat hunts, I am building a 6.5 PRC for that. Otherwise, a lot of my mountain hunting has been with magnums (7mm Rem Mag, 7MM STW, 300 and 338 Win Mags - and mostly with the STW) with over 3000 ft.lbs of energy.

I know the bears are there, but I do not let the fear of hunting in their country stop me...but I am aware of my surroundings and am prepared if an encounter occurs; and that is the best medicine!
Of course, I always feel better when I am carrying a big (thunder) stick! :cool:

The benefit for you in Alaska, is that should you decide to carry a smaller, less powerful rifle/cartridge combination, you can also carry a handgun in a suitable cartridge for back up for problem bears, or even carry a 12 gauge in a handy configuration if you feel "undergunned".
They make a handy little backpack rig that will carry just a short handy "defender" type 12 ga that is light and handy when you are busy performing other chores.
There is also a little molle type scabbard that can be attached to a day pack for carrying a defender shotgun, or other packs that can haul meat, items and firearms at the same time, so you can hike with your 12 gauge in your hands if you so desire, or a handgun chest rig so that it is handy on the front of your chest while wearing a pack, using hiking poles, or fishing. If you choose a hip rig, find one that keeps the handgun tight to your body for stability and security, and practice with it so that drawing it quickly becomes instinctive.
Lots of good options out there that are field tested and proven in the Alaska and northern Canadian wilds.

Last edited:
I love ❤️ this forum.
Always well reasoned responses from highly intelligent people. I like that fools aren’t tolerated here.

Vince

Vince, you’ve had some really good responses from folks who have actually spent time around bears. I won’t be redundant to those well thought out comments. In 20 years of guiding on the Peninsula, seeing bears almost every day, I’ve had to shoot exactly one grizz. In my lifetime going back to 1958 we’ve had to shoot a total of 4. I think the first two would have survived had bear spray been available then. Learn to be bear aware, solves most problems.
As to the Creedmore, Dad got a 264wm in 1959 for sheep. Figured it would do for grizz if needed. Second or third sheep hunt with that rifle he gave a grizz a poke in the ribs with the 264. Always said he wished he hadn’t started that fight. I wasn’t tagging along on that hunt but sounds as if things got a little western.
Take it with you, Just don’t start a fight with a grizz…

Vince, you’ve had some really good responses from folks who have actually spent time around bears. I won’t be redundant to those well thought out comments. In 20 years of guiding on the Peninsula, seeing bears almost every day, I’ve had to shoot exactly one grizz. In my lifetime going back to 1958 we’ve had to shoot a total of 4. I think the first two would have survived had bear spray been available then. Learn to be bear aware, solves most problems.
As to the Creedmore, Dad got a 264wm in 1959 for sheep. Figured it would do for grizz if needed. Second or third sheep hunt with that rifle he gave a grizz a poke in the ribs with the 264. Always said he wished he hadn’t started that fight. I wasn’t tagging along on that hunt but sounds as if things got a little western.
Take it with you, Just don’t start a fight with a grizz…
I don’t plan on picking any fights. 😁

However you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men.

To be honest I’ve been thinking about my choice of handgun for bear protection and consider it a distant third option for when a bear is nibbling on my almost dead carcass. My bear defense armory is looking like this; avoidance, longarm, spray, handgun.

What I mean by avoidance is unless I’m hunting them I’ll do what I can to not give the appearance of a tasty human taquito to a bear. If I am hunting them I want to have sufficient armament to stop said critter.

I’m looking at bear fences, food boxes, and other stuff as part of my bear protection system. I don’t expect to see a bear behind every tree just every third tree. 😁 I’m also practicing drawing my handgun from a chest rig along with my bear spray at the same time.

Vince

I'll just add this to my other post, I would be looking at a bullet in the Creedmoor that will penetrate well just in case the worst case scenario happens. The classic 140 gr Partition or something similar would be a great all around bullet. Since you have a big gap in between your 6.5 Creedmoor and the 375 maybe something like a 7mm Rem Mag would be a good choice. You can make it light and it still won't kick too bad. Will kill anything you'll encounter too.

I do note that most people that have never lived or worked in bear country are super worried about potential encounters. Those who live in bear country are aware and wary, but not to the point of fear. Grizzlies are certainly capable of putting a hurt on a person, but the reality is quite different. Bear aware and reasonable caution go a long way toward avoiding conflict.

I do note that most people that have never lived or worked in bear country are super worried about potential encounters. Those who live in bear country are aware and wary, but not to the point of fear. Grizzlies are certainly capable of putting a hurt on a person, but the reality is quite different. Bear aware and reasonable caution go a long way toward avoiding conflict.

I’m wary but not twitching in fear.

I’m just looking at all my options and trying to make realistic assessments based on personal knowledge and experience around black bears and the knowledge of others in grizzly/brown/Kodiak country.

That’s why I’m looking at bear fences and bear proof storage containers. I really don’t want to have to defend myself against a bear but I do prepare for such. I consider the knowledge here very valuable and relish the opportunity to put it in to practice.

Please keep the advice coming and again, thank you.

Vince

You might consider trading it off or adding a Good 'ol 30-06 while still in the lower 48 where your options and pricing are better. Little doubt it would be a more all-around cartridge for up there. I've been to Alaska once, on a pipeline project in the far North general "neighborhood" of Prudhoe (it was an hour flight away), and pretty much everyone had a 30-06. Pretty much the only ammunition available in the far flung outpost was 30-06. Getting a new rifle other than a well worn 30-06 in such location required hopping a plane to a more civilized place or paying somebody a lot of money to pick one up for you with questionable legality. The best answer is bring both if feasible.

I’m leaving most rifles and handguns in the lower 48.

The idea of a rifle between the 6.5 Creedmoor and the .375 Ruger is very appealing. I am however liking the idea of one man one rifle. There’s a lot to be said for the man or woman that knows their rifle well.

I’ve got a safe full of guns I never shoot or carry. I’m not going to part with them but I sure don’t need ‘em either. I guess I’m just saving them for a rainy day. 😐

The 6.5 Creedmoor is making the trip. I talked with the Canadian Mountie Firearms Section about a permit to transport a couple of restricted firearms through Canada on my way to Alaska.

I’m thinking I’ll take my Beretta M9A4, S&W 57 with a 6 1/2” barrel, and Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 7 1/2” barrel and a scope mounted on it. The magazines for the Beretta hold more than ten rounds so I’ll ship those to Alaska as Canada won’t let me take them across the border.

Now I just have to find out how much ammo per gun I can bring.

Vince

Maybe load that 6.5 up with 140 PTs or similar or a 130 TTSX like bullet. While I have 0 experience with griz or similar the combo would break a lot of bone if needed.

Its a decent cartridge good for what it’s made to do.

All my firearms are making the trip as I’m loading my Jeep on a barge in Seattle and will see it next in Anchorage.

I’ve stockpiled a bunch of ammunition for each gun I plan to carry/shoot too. My departure date is getting close and I’m excited. Just have a few loose ends to tie up here.

I’m mapping my route to Seattle while avoiding as much of the left coast as possible. Thinking I might swing through Elko on my way and pay a visit to Capriola’s. If you don’t know what that is I encourage you to Google them. It’s a cowboy toy store that never gets old as far as I’m concerned.

Vince

Back