Lookin' for a .260

I had a Browning A Bolt .260 that shot good.They don't chamber it anymore.
I personally like the 7mm/08 better.

I'm on my way to go get my loading / shooting book I left in the camper over the weekend.
I shot both my M7 w/18.5 in tube & M700 w/25in tube loaded with RL-17. I can say the H414 kicks it's tail in velocity however.

The .260 appears to be a little more finicky than the 7-08 for finding a good load. My 7-08 shoots about anything I put down the tube fairly decent and some excellent. The .260 not so.
The 130gr A-bond in my opinion is an awesome choice for big-game. We've taken several elk with it, and they will both make the trip again this year.

6.5 Mag... the original short mag :wink: I had a M673 spotted a while back that they couldn't give away and him-hawed around over it....and passed, but that would be a great round with the appropriate length barrel.

Big Squeeze":vbjwvb77 said:
Bk..................Nothing wrong with a 260 in a more compact rifle!

There are 3 main complaints that you get when talking about shorter tubes. They are noisier, too much muzzle blast and a perceived HUGE loss in velocity, like around 50 fps per inch.

Noise... I always wear hearing protection at the range and appropriate protection in the field. There are products for field use.

Muzzle blast...With my 300 WSM compact, there is no noticeable daytime muzzle blast. I don`t hunt in darkness or in very low lite so that`s not an issue with me.

Velocity loss...In comparing two 24" 300 WSMs with my 16.5" 300 WSM using the same identical reloading components and charges, the overall loss for my shorty tube averages from 4.2% to 4.5%. An average loss from 16 fps to 22 fps per inch was the result. Various other powders and bullets were used, but only the identical components were compared. Two chronys were used. The velocity loss from the 20" will be even less a percentage vs the 24" er.

No game you could hunt with a 260 will know the difference when the vitals are hit.

I've been working my tail off, when not laying in bed with pneumonia, so I kind of got away from my internet addiction. The reason I want a longer barrel is all about the way the rifle handles. I've played with a couple of carbines, and I find I just like rifles with a little length to them, the same as I prefer a shotgun with 30" or longer barrels. Maybe from doing most of my hunting with a 26" tubed M70? Not concerned with muzzle blast or velocity loss.

jtoews80":1iivk69m said:
Just a question, why not a 6.5 Rem Mag.

Two words: belted case. OK, a few more words, case availability. I know you can make 6.5s out of standard belted cases, but turning and reaming are not that much fun.

Who knows, the 6.5 bug may hit me and I may feel the need to build a 6.5 Mag, a .264, or even something really goofy like a 6.5 WSM or 6.5-300 Weatherby.

Anyway, I have a kid on the way, so I think the .260 project may have to go on hold. But if I should happen upon an SPS .243 or a used short action 700, I may have to pick it up as a donor.

BK":1gopldgv said:
jtoews80":1gopldgv said:
Just a question, why not a 6.5 Rem Mag.

Two words: belted case. OK, a few more words, case availability. I know you can make 6.5s out of standard belted cases, but turning and reaming are not that much fun.

Who knows, the 6.5 bug may hit me and I may feel the need to build a 6.5 Mag, a .264, or even something really goofy like a 6.5 WSM or 6.5-300 Weatherby.

Anyway, I have a kid on the way, so I think the .260 project may have to go on hold. But if I should happen upon an SPS .243 or a used short action 700, I may have to pick it up as a donor.

I agree. If I wanted to go a similar route (which I don't) I would do a 6.5WSM.

I think the 260/6.5Lapua/Creedmore are great.

Sako does the 85 in .260Rem and a range of flavours with many having 20" or 24" barrel options.

Cheers

Back