Loooong Bullets

ColColt

Handloader
Apr 27, 2014
I may have messed up. Looking for Nosler's heavier bullets for the 243 I ran across some Sierra 100 gr Spitzer's and Berger Hybrid Target 105 gr but, those are the longest bullets I've seen at 1.260" and on the box it says "For 1:8" Twist or Faster". I didn't see that on the Internet when I ordered them so they may keyhole. My Savage has a 1:9.25 twist and may not stabilize them.

Well, I'll try about ten and see what happens. Maybe I'll have some nice bullets for sale!

The Berger 105 hybrids may key hole. I tried a few 105 VLD in my 243 AI using 1:10 twist figuring if I had enough speed they may work. I was wrong and they key holed at 100 yards pretty bad. The 105 Amax did okay. Good luck!

Yeah, I run 105 Amaxs in a 1-9.25 but never tried the Berger. I think the Sierras will work fine though.

When I seat these bullets to .015" off the lands the base of the bullet is right at the junction of where the shoulder meets the body of the case. That's awfully deep. I load of five with IMR 4350 and see what happens.

Sounds like a good start. Plenty of room in the 243 for those longer bullets. Good luck, post up some targets. I imagine you'll be smiling in no time.

Agree. Those 100 gr Sierras should shoot just fine. They're not particularly long for the 6mm bore and are very accurate from my 6mm Remington, which has a 1:9 twist barrel.

If you want a real nice hunting bullet, consider the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip... Very accurate, very lethal. I've used it on mule deer to about 300 yards, no problem.

Regards, Guy

I'll be headed back to the range early next week to try those out. I'm particularly curious as to how the Berger 105 will do...if at all. I'd love to even find some of the 95 gr Noslers but no luck to date.

I am with Guy on the 95 BT. Awesome bullet in the 243, plus it has a twin in the 90AB. Both of them are super bullets in the 243.

I thought I would have some oblong holes with the Berger 105 gr bullets and at worse, key holes...not a chance! In fact, it gave me they best group I had for the day at the range. I thought for sure they would key hole and only made three of them to see. I was proved wrong. Looks like I'll keep these bullets and in fact I'll order more. That was but one load and I think they're good enough to work on some more.

The Bergers can be very accurate; and the 105 grain in the .243 is generally good for go. Fine load, I'd say.

Actually, they did better than the Sierra 105's. that group of five was .865". I'm surprised I got that good with either. My old Leupold M8 16X may be on it's way out. I kept noticing the horizonal cross hair kept looking a little fuzzy in comparison to the vertical. I thought maybe it was my eyes or the eye piece was out of adjustment and moved it back and forth left and right and couldn't get the hair to sharpen. Never had that happen before and I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

try them .030 off the lands, your velocity will be better and pressure will be less, yeah I know your using up case capacity for bullet storage, but it won't affect your pressures any, pressure won't start peak until the bullet hits the lands.
RR

I initially seated them .015" off the lands due to the base of the bullet already being so deep in the case. I'll try the .030" next outing. You are talking about the Bergers?

ColColt":3pdcg1gl said:
I initially seated them .015" off the lands due to the base of the bullet already being so deep in the case. I'll try the .030" next outing. You are talking about the Bergers?
yep, its what berger recommends
RR

ColColt":15wbex1q said:
I thought I would have some oblong holes with the Berger 105 gr bullets and at worse, key holes...not a chance! In fact, it gave me they best group I had for the day at the range. I thought for sure they would key hole and only made three of them to see. I was proved wrong. Looks like I'll keep these bullets and in fact I'll order more. That was but one load and I think they're good enough to work on some more.

Doesn't look like you need to send those Bergers to me :) ...nice shooting.

Yep, think I'll keep them. I anticipated them doing anything but making a good show and got pleasantly surprised. I'll bump the load up half a grain and see it may even shoot better.

Back