loose primer pockets

sniper1379

Beginner
Jan 2, 2009
i have been shooting a 300wsm and have some cases with 5-6 firings that have loose primer pockets. primers still seat in the cases, but go in with little if any resistance. using a caliper i measured the primer pockets and the pockets are still about .005' smaller than the diameter of the primers. think i should go on and chunk them?

If I notice that the primer goes in easily I will put a little red nail polish on that case and after I shoot it they go in the trash. I "try" to keep my cases in the same lots as purchased but not real good at it, so the nail polish helps me sort out the ones that are stretched out. My .02

Loose primer pockets usually indicate higher pressures in a previous firing. Compared to the cost of repairing hands and eyes, brass is cheap. I toss mine when it gets loose and buy more.

I agree with the others, shoot them and throw the cases away.
Loose primer pockets are a result of high pressures.

JD338

What kind of primers were you using? I have found that Winchesters seem a little smaller in diameter than Federals or CCI. The Winchesters seem to fit loosely after just a few firings, while the Federals still provided a snug fit even after 6 or 7 loadings.

i'm using winchester primers. i use them in everything i load for, but the 300wsm is the only cartridge that they get this loose. i took my bolt out and looked at it. sure enough, there was a little black ring where gas blow back has been occuring.

I toss mine when the primer pockets get loose. Does anyone know what the industry tolerances are on a large rifle primer pocket?

Back