M70 7mm Mashburn Super Mag

DrMike":1j8ndzra said:
That will be a thumper! No doubt it will put an elk down right smartly.

For sure Mike. It's working well for me.. I Enjoy making the old cartridge as well.

longrangehunter":1j8ndzra said:
Sweet! Wow Scotty you've really outdone yourself on this build! This will hopefully be "The Rifle of Rifles" for you, and in that cartridge you can't go wrong IMO.

Best of luck to you with it Scotty!

Thanks Kevin. I think it'll be good. After two years of using the Mashburn and seeing how it works I think this set up will get a bunch of hunting time (more) :mrgreen:

Look out though, the OLD elk hunter has my old one. Still waiting to hear about him getting it up and shooting again.

Good set up Scotty,

Can't help but think that rifle sending 175 grains of goodness @ 3050 ought to bring the mail. That poor .338 win mag of yours is going to wonder what it did to be confined to the safe during the Fall????? 8)

That looks great Scotty, be neat to see how it shoots for you. I bet it won't disappoint you........

Dead sexiness right there. As I said before, the red pad just sets it off for me. Classic lines and classic looks. I would not want to be on the receiving end of that round.

Good looking rig Scotty! I'm sure you'll make it sing and then make it work for a living. Try the 175gr ABLRs, they like to fly!

Scott

I plan to work with the 175 Partitions first. They have been really good to me lately. You cannot fight the crushing power of a 175 7mm bullet.

Brian has been running the 175 ABLR in his 28 Noz. Says they are really shooting. I've got a Wyoming bull tag this year so I'm really trying to focus on it. I'm looking forward to working with this one.

And Pat... I think Red Pads are required for Model 70's :mrgreen:

SJB358":3fccr2zh said:
I plan to work with the 175 Partitions first. They have been really good to me lately. You cannot fight the crushing power of a 175 7mm bullet.

Brian has been running the 175 ABLR in his 28 Noz. Says they are really shooting. I've got a Wyoming bull tag this year so I'm really trying to focus on it. I'm looking forward to working with this one.

And Pat... I think Red Pads are required for Model 70's :mrgreen:

Holy cow Scotty, :shock: :lol:

Got a scope mounted up on it.

Used Warne bases, TPS Alloy low rings. Got a bunch of loads ready for fireforming just gotta get out to the range.

Looking business-like, Scotty. It will be interesting to see your load development.

You have had this gun long enough must be at least a few hours by now, have you gone to the range yet? Times wasting away......... :mrgreen:

gerry":2l79fvoh said:
You have had this gun long enough must be at least a few hours by now, have you gone to the range yet? Times wasting away......... :mrgreen:

I hear you there Gerry. Had family in this weekend so it took my range time away. Should have it up and running shortly though. I had just enough time to sneak away and mount the scope..

Thanks for the comments fella's. Can't wait to get it out and zeroed up some.

FOTIS":kf7q02qk said:
Excellent choice on optics!!

I like them alot Fotis. I believe they are hard to beat for their durability and it is tough to find someone that has returned one of them on the net. Been shooting them for a few years and I am pretty impressed with how they perform. I am hoping the 3X9 should be ideal on the MSM. the plain old 6X's have been excellent rock solid.

nice rig Scotty . I like the way the scope is made on the power select . you can get a good hold on that . do these only come in mils , or are you giving mils a try ?

jimbires":5yguk7wk said:
nice rig Scotty . I like the way the scope is made on the power select . you can get a good hold on that . do these only come in mils , or are you giving mils a try ?

I am not sure if they do MOA? I have been using Mils for a couple of years now and once I switched over I never saw any good reason to not use them. They are pretty simple to learn (same as MOA), but I especially like the FFP scope, since if I know my drop I have use the glass to hold as well since it graduated in mils as well. I like having matched glass to the turret.

On another note, with the new Redding dies I formed up a bunch of new 300 Win Mag Nosler cases (not 2nds, but boxed new). I ended up having one piece that was jacked from the get go with a slagged up looking neck.. Oh well, I may give them a call and see what they can do.

Anyhow I have acquired a pin gauge set and I have a donut on the inside of the neck. SO... I went ahead and got an inside neck reamer to get rid of it. I guess it is a problem when you have to do so much movement of material and the thicker Nosler/Norma brass (have RWS on order). So, I am jumping in with both feet. Figure I might as well sort this out from the get go. Never had a problem with the Hornady brass in the past, so it may just be a brass issue..

I still loaded them up cause I wanna see what happens when I fire them, but I will give these 49 cases the works and see what comes from it. Darcy Echols said once the donut is trimmed, it'll never have to be done again, so it isn't huge work since the brass seems to last just about forever in the Mashburn..

That is what I get for not buying a danged 270 Winchester I guess! :lol:

Back