M70 Custom gunsmith?

A

Anonymous

The more I mess around with my recent M70 find...the more I want to turn it into a custom 300WSM.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is to find a gunsmith first and then go from there, realizing not all gunsmiths like to work on the same things and some of these guys have backlogs running years. Just a McMillian stock is an 8 month wait.

Looking for a smith who likes M70s and can work with synthetic stocks and CeraKote.

Any suggestions?

This fellow did my .280 Ackley and I have had him do work for me in the past. I have been very pleased with his work. He is very detailed and picky, two great attributes when you do work on firearms.

Might be worth giving him a call and talking it over. He's a really nice guy.

Bob Petersen - Petersen Precision Rifles - Missoula MT.

(406) 360-4765

I believe he can and will use Cerakote if you want. He used John Norrell Arms Moly Resin on my rifle and I think it is holding up very well for me. It looks very nice and has protected the metal extremely well. Hope this helps.

Man, I'm really out of the loop for US based gunsmiths. The boys here at Rocky Mountain Rifles have built several very nice rifles for me. CeraKote and McMillan stocks is a common feature of materials employed in their builds. I know they do work on rifles from the States. Almost all my builds were with Winchester actions.

http://corlanes.com/rmr-rifles/

hodgeman":14ohw97u said:
The more I mess around with my recent M70 find...the more I want to turn it into a custom 300WSM.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is to find a gunsmith first and then go from there, realizing not all gunsmiths like to work on the same things and some of these guys have backlogs running years. Just a McMillian stock is an 8 month wait.

Looking for a smith who likes M70s and can work with synthetic stocks and CeraKote.

Any suggestions?
Patrick Holehan, Tucson, AZ.

P.L. Holehan Custom Rifles

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

My buddy Steve at Alaska custom firearms does good work here in anchorage. Anything particular your looking for? If your wanting a lightwieght Ric Stenhour at extreme rifle works does great work too. He got a Winchester Classic in 375 down to 6 pounds 4 ounces for me a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":zzheegp3 said:
My buddy Steve at Alaska custom firearms does good work here in anchorage. Anything particular your looking for? If your wanting a lightwieght Ric Stenhour at extreme rifle works does great work too. He got a Winchester Classic in 375 down to 6 pounds 4 ounces for me a few years ago

Nothing really outrageous. Thinking replace the 7WSM barrel with a light contour and/or fluted barrel with a brake, straighten out any action bugs (not thinking there'll be much to do there), apply a coating and bed the works into a light stock like a McMillian edge. Probably replace the bottom metal while I'm at it with something a little more refined.

Just looking for a weather resistant rifle for the Interior. Thinking if I can get a finished weight of between 7.5 and 8 pounds that'd be about right.

Give Alaskan custom firearms a call. Accurate, durable, hunting rifles is their specialty. I'd personally opt for nitride over cerakote but ACF will do either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman":3qv8zwal said:

Any suggestions?

Long Rifles Inc.

He (Chad Dixon) is very much a perfectionist...

Very straightforward and open about his whole philosophy and operation... And he likes M70's.

http://www.longriflesinc.com/

Check him out on Facebook too.

If it were me, Gene Simillion and Mark Penrod are two of the "Charlie Daniels" of the Model 70. They do excellent work and that rifle bedded into an Edge filled Echols Legend would be pretty nice. Having shot an handled a couple of Genes rifles, I was very impressed at his work. He makes Model 70's function, feed and shoot amazing.

I know he's in the top running should I ever build a full up Mashburn.

I am sorta sorry your not keeping it a 7mm WSM, but understand how you love the 300's. Good luck buddy. Sounds like a neat project.

FYI:
I spoke with Heather at McMillan today and she quoted me 12 to 14 weeks on my stock.
It seems that McMillan has caught up on some of the backlog.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back