M70 trigger adjustment

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
Can someone tell me how to adjust the old style model trigger. The one on my 338 breaks decent but breaks pretty heavy at I'm guessing 4.5-5 lbs. Thanks.

Go to erniethegunsmith.com, get his M70 spring. Then follow his instructions EXACTLY. The M70 trigger is fine, but it is possible to adjust it in terms of sear engagement and travel into dangerous territory. Please be careful. If you just want adjustment instructions, I believe he also has those online.
EE2

I would invest in a trigger pull gauge so that there is no guessing. Take a few readings to get an average weight of pull. Using small wrenches, loosen the lock nuts on the trigger and take off some of the spring tension, but not too much. Measure the weight of pull again and readjust until it is down to about 3 1/2 pounds. I would not want to go lower than that on a hunting rifle. With the unloaded and cocked rifle, bounce the buttstock on a rubber mat or carpeted floor to make sure nothing goes "click". Retighten the lock nuts and put a dab of epoxy on the end of the adjustment screw. Don't mess with the sears.

Jake, EE2 is speaking the gospel. It's very easy to adjust and tune to be VERY nice. Get the gauge though. Well worth the 20-30 bucks spent.

Yep, get a good trigger scale and perform the "bounce test" duck creek outlined in his response.

I have yet to find a 70 trigger that couldn't be adjusted to awesomeness.

Back