M7600 35 Whelen zeroing

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I pulled my Remington 7600 out last night to get a 200 yard zero on it. I run a plain old VXR 1.25x4 with the Leupold #4 reticle. I found a nice load shooting a 225 grain Sierra GK with 58 grains of H4895. That load runs about 2675 from my rifle.

Here’s a shot when I was working up loads for that rifle.

I’ve used the load for a few deer up north in the past but I pulled the scope and needed to rezero. So I took a shot at 50 and it was a bit to the right. Moved it a couple clicks left and moved right back to 200.

Got pretty lucky when I saw the target board. I move .1 mil up and .2 right and shot the next 3.

BAM, I thought to myself, my bolt guns better be paying attention cause this thing wants to hunt!

Anyhow, I punched the numbers into my ballistic ap and it said it should be about 8.8” low at 300 so I figured I’d try it out.

Took aim, center mass on the large dot at 300 and rang it...

Pretty happy overall with the rifle. It’s been a great shooter.

As a note, watch Fotis’s for sale ads... he sells some good stuff now and again!

Yeah, I do believe that ol' gal wants to hunt. That'll do on about any game you'd want to hunt.

Looks great! How's the Sierra working for you on those deer? I have only shot one bear with them and was pretty impressed.

gerry":pt08a5qr said:
Looks great! How's the Sierra working for you on those deer? I have only shot one bear with them and was pretty impressed.

It is EXCELLENT Gerry. It expands really wide, hangs together real well at these speeds and is plenty accurate. I am not typically a big Sierra guy, but this bullet works very well for hitting deer hard. The blood trails from this bullet, if they're needed are wide/tall and copious!

Have heard a lot of good things about it. Have a good load in my Whelen for it already at around 2700 fps, I'm switching over to it and a tougher 225 gr like the AccuBond for big stuff and save the 200's for the 358 Win. That 7600 of yours sure does shoot well!

She is a beauty!

Yes I have my moments and never sell crap at least never here and never to friends....

Just get traded.

My current 7600 Whelen

ECy7fG6l.jpg

cAy0m1el.jpg

SJB358":gz4y1wtm said:
I pulled my Remington 7600 out last night to get a 200 yard zero on it. I run a plain old VXR 1.25x4 with the Leupold #4 reticle. I found a nice load shooting a 225 grain Sierra GK with 58 grains of H4895. That load runs about 2675 from my rifle.

Here’s a shot when I was working up loads for that rifle.

I’ve used the load for a few deer up north in the past but I pulled the scope and needed to rezero. So I took a shot at 50 and it was a bit to the right. Moved it a couple clicks left and moved right back to 200.

Got pretty lucky when I saw the target board. I move .1 mil up and .2 right and shot the next 3.

BAM, I thought to myself, my bolt guns better be paying attention cause this thing wants to hunt!

Anyhow, I punched the numbers into my ballistic ap and it said it should be about 8.8” low at 300 so I figured I’d try it out.

Took aim, center mass on the large dot at 300 and rang it...

Pretty happy overall with the rifle. It’s been a great shooter.

As a note, watch Fotis’s for sale ads... he sells some good stuff now and again!

Very nice Scotty, very nice. And in an absolute hammer cartridge. That makes at least 2 of those rifles now if I recall that you have that are real shooters.

I tell you what, I've run through a good number of them now helping guys out with setting up loads for them etc, and on average they are WAY better rifles than most people think they are or give them credit for. The 760's are a little more particular about how they set in the bags then the 7600's, but both good rifles. You got a good one. Good job.

lhsako":c7ud8ycs said:
Great shooting ! Is that the first load you tried in that rifle?

Pretty much. I shot 56-57 and 58 just to see what it did. The others shot about the same with a bit of 2-1 going on. I believe I shortened them a little and that’s where I’m at now. I’m sure I could squeak a little more speed from it but honestly for what the rifle is used for, 200 yards would be a really long shot most days. Even sitting on a field I don’t tend to shoot across them and typically I like being stuffed in the woods.

This is all good stuff here,very refreshing to see comments on the the 7600. These rifles have never gotten the credits they well deserve. I have three of them and all are shooters for sure. I have a 25-06, 257 Roberts and a 760 in 358 Win(re-chambered)from 35 Rem.

otter25":1l0233zg said:
This is all good stuff here,very refreshing to see comments on the the 7600. These rifles have never gotten the credits they well deserve. I have three of them and all are shooters for sure. I have a 25-06, 257 Roberts and a 760 in 358 Win(re-chambered)from 35 Rem.

You have three highly desirable cartridges chambered in your 7600s. Each is a joy to shoot, that's for sure.

Back