Mag vs Standard Primers: Are they worth trying?

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
I can't seem to find good reloading data for my 22-250, 257 Rob, and 280 that use mag primers. Is this because they aren't worth trying unless you are shooting a large caliber bullet? I have heard of guys using them in 22-250 and 280 with good results. What is your opinion and why? Also where can I get load data using mag primers? I usually go with nosler or hodgdon and they don't list them.

Just a side note, I use H380 and H414 in these three calibers with good results and have thought about playing around with different types of primers to increase accuracy.

I use either magnum primers or the CCI BR-2 primers in everything I load for. I just think the perform better over the standard primers. But I say try the standard primers and see if they will work for you.

corbin9191":3mrvgrok said:
I use either magnum primers or the CCI BR-2 primers in everything I load for. I just think the perform better over the standard primers. But I say try the standard primers and see if they will work for you.

Standard primers work fine for me I was just wondering if I could expect any significant gains by switching to a mag primer

Went to shooting WLRM primers in the .25-06 when running the 115s with heavy doses of Magnum or Retumbo... cut the SDs down a bunch vs. the WLR, and the groups shrunk a bit too.

Don't know that I'd go to a mag primer with anything less than a 60 grain dose of go-fast...

The only time you would require a mag primer in standard cartridges would be hunting in sub zero temps, otherwise there really is no gain. Keep in mind that if you were to use mag primers, you need to drop your charge weight as pressures will go up.
My rule of thumb is to use mag primers when powder charge weights are over 60 grs.

JD338

My groups have actually averaged smaller with standard CCI over the Magnum primers. No guarentee that was the only variable but it was the obvious one. CL

SE, it really depends on the powder you are using. With a stick powder, stick to standard primers. Ball powders are a little harder to ignite, so a magnum primer might help. I've shot magnum primers in the .223 with ball powders to good effect.

Magnum primers can give you better ignition and more complete burn. This depends on case capacity and the kind of powder. For instance some manuals recommend you use mag caps with ball powder in the 223, 356, 358 win and others. Only caveat is only your gun can tell you what it likes. :wink:

Thanks guys for the info. I guess my problem is I just can't stop messing with my loads. I keep trying to get the tightest group I can get. But I guess that's what it's all about. I'm so addicted to reloading that once I find something that shoots really good, I use it for awhile, then It's time to come up with a different load! I can't put my tools down

JD, your comments on cold weather are right on the mark. A number of years ago I was using my 7-08 with 140 partitions and a dose of varget and standard primers (I believe CCI). I was in Maine with the temperatures around -4. I had an opportunity at a nice whitetail and pulled the trigger. The report didn't sound quite right and the bullet struck the ground about 3 feet behind the deer (distance roughtly 40 yards.) I checked the case and the barrel and found a considerable amount of unburned powder. I don't think it was a defective primer, just the temperature working its magic. The cartridge had been sitting in the rifle about 4 hrs. prior to firing.

I don't think that you would need a magnum primer in 257 bob but I could be wrong.

Some guys use magnum primers in .222 remington so I would assume that you could use them in .22 250 if you started a grain or two lower than max and worked up. I sometimes use magnum primers in 06 length calibers so I would give them a try in the 280. There are also other variables like the brand of primer. Some of them don't seem to be as hot as others. For instance I think that federal 215's run hotter than cci 250. That said I could just have a cold batch of cci 250's.

Different powder and primer combination will result in different accuracy. For the real accuracy nut, like me I must admit, trying different primers has brought better accuracy sometimes. I have a custom 25-06 that is real finicky about what it wants to shoot. When I combined my most accurate powder load with the CCI250 mag primer it really liked it and started shooting bug holes. Always back off and work back up when changing primers. I find the most accurate load I can with the powder and bullet seating depth then I try different primers to see what happens. Lots of the time I find more accuracy.

I use magnum primers a lot. H414/w760 get magnum primers. cases that hold over about 55gr get magnum primers with slow powder. For example if i was loading under 50gr for the 243 using using h414 it would get a magnum primer. With varget it would not. With 7828 it would get a magnum primer. with h4350 it would not. H4831 magnum primer. H4895 standard. I do not worry about brass life on reloads, only consistant loads.

Back