Magnum Research BFR S/A`s

Big Squeeze

Handloader
May 29, 2007
Anyone have one these hand cannons in a longer cylinder chambering??
I`m looking for comments as to accuracy, quality, dependability, etc.

I am contemplating another handgun for hunting and would like this time to have a single action!

Aside from the Ruger S/A`s (up to the 44 mag. in power) and Freedom Arms who chamber only the standard length cylinder powerhouses like the 454 Casull, 50 AE, 480 Ruger, 475 Linebaugh etc., the BFR`s (BEEFED up Ruger Super Blackhawks), seem to really take things to another power and strength level with their longer cylinder chamberings such as the .444 Marlin, 450 Marlin, 45-70 Govt., 460 S&W and 500 S&W!!

I am particularly intrigued with the 45-70 Govt. in the BFR. When parusing the "Magnum Research" website under their revolver Q&A and factoids section, I read that the 45-70 is loaded to extremely low pressures and can exceed the performance of the 454 Casull when loaded below 30K in pressure for the BFR.

I also read on their recoil comparison chart, that the BFR 45-70`s recoil at the higher performance levels, is well below the 454 Casull and about on par with the recoil of a much less powerful 44 magnum!! Interesting!!?? A cartridge that can exceed 454 performance at 30K psi or below, that has the recoil level of a 44 magnum??

In my particular case, I`m interested in the 7.5" barrel. The added revolver weight and length that these BFR`s have, is not an issue! They can still be holstered and comfortably carried in the field and is only a little longer than Ruger`s Super Redhawk 7.5" barrel.

When I did handle a BFR, I found it to point quick and balance very well for a large and heavier revolver! The trigger pulls (at 3-4 lbs.) on the BFR`s seem better than on the Ruger S/A`s or even with the Ruger double actions.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Squeeze, I am an addicted big bore handgun fanatic. I do have a preference for Ruger products and I also have a selection of Freedom Arms toys and a couple of the big Smiths. I also have a couple of TC that I like and have built some a couple of my own monster bore based on the TC design. I love to handgun hunt and do the metallic sillouhetts on occasion. I know alot of people have a preference for a certain caliber or maker and I don't want to push a certain brand. My personal choice for handgun hunting now is the Ruger 480. I have several Blackhawks and Redhawks in 44 mag with assorted barrel lengths and trigger jobs. And I have an affection for the Desert Eagle in 44 and 50 cal, which I hunt with as well. Based on performance with different loads, ease of shooting and the ability to tune a pistol I use the 480 as my primary choice now. With the 7.5 in barrel magnaported and some custom grips it gives me a nice fit with the capabilities to hunt javelina and whitetail up to the big feral boars and elk. You mentioned trigger pull on the BFR, I too have an issue with the Ruger factory trigger. I take mine apart and hone the entire mechanism and paying special attention to the sear release, don't bevel it. One trick that also makes a difference is to remove the hammer spring and cut off 1 or 1.5 coils and replace the difference with a piece of stainless orcopper tubing. I do this to all of mine and have most of triggers tuned to 2.5 to 3 pounds of pull.
On the 500 Smiths I also hone the actions but for recoil I have the barrels magnaported and I add a muzzle break as well. I like the 500s but after a while I need to use a wrist brace. Not so much for recoil but as for extended weight.
Just a few thoughts that I had, enjoy your new hand cannon.

I've got three or four friends with BFR's in .45/70. They all enjoy shooting those doggone big ol' things!

My only big handgun is a 500 S&W. Plenty of gun for me! :grin:

Thanks guys for the opinions on the BFR`s!......The Super Redhawk in the 480 Ruger is a great looking piece. It even looks mean and of course is well built! But, it is a double action!

When you look and handle the BFR`s and play with the trigger, this revolver exudes super strength and superb quality. The trigger is absolutely wonderful. With the BFR single action, the cylinder moves in both directions, which is not so with the Blackkawks!

Unlike the S/A Rugers which only chamber up to the 44 mag. or the hot loading power of 45 LC, the BFR`s offer far greater options in the power dept. in either their shorter cylinders or the longer ones, that no one else offers in S/A`s, including Freedom Arms!

The 444 Marlin, 450 Marlin, 454 Casull, 45/70, 460 S&W, 480 Ruger, 500 S&W, 50AE are all offered by BFR in their S/A`s, where as Ruger only offers the 44 mag, the 480 and the 454 in the double actions only.

That is what sets the BFR`s ahead of Ruger and even perhaps the best quality S/A`s from the Freedom Arms Co.

For reloading fun, I believe the 45/70 in the BFR only, can not only meet the 454 head on, but also exceed it as well, and do so with less pressure for longer gun life, and with less recoil too.

TScottW99":3slsewxv said:
I am no help with the BFR either but saw an add last night that made me think of this post. Here is their web page...

http://www.bisonbull.com/BisonBull/index.html

My handgun hunting is with a T/C Encore with a 12" .480Ruger barrel.
...............A 6 lb., 10" barreled, 17" long S/A revolver???? NO THANKS! A little too much there to be hauling around in a holster and for speedy handling!! GEEES!...It sure does look great though! But nope!............I thinks I`ll stay with a 7.5" BFR @ about 4 lbs.

I have the 7.5" BFR in 45-70.It is the most accurate handgun I own.I also have the 454 Casull and my goal with the BFR was to match 454 Casull velocities with the 45-70 and a heavier bullet.Easily done.The 420 cast I load in the 45-70 Guide Gun at 1866 fps(60 degree's) clocks 1560 fps in the BFR(39 degree's).I figure right at a 250 fps velocity decrease with the temperatures being the same..I loaded the 420 Cast down 5 grains of RL-7 just for the BFR and got 1400 fps which I was after to match the old 360 grain Cor-Bon Penetrator in the 454 Casull before SAAMI changed the dimensions on it.

I have some 300 grain Nosler Protected Points loaded down to 2105 fps in the Guide Gun which should be about 1800-1850 fps in the BFR.Just where I want to be again,at a hot loaded 454 Casull velocity but I haven't changed to jacketed just yet.I plan on getting a bunch of Speer 300 grain Unicores(A heck of a bullet itself) to practice with and use the Noslers for hunting/protection.

This is at 30 paces approximately 25-30 yards with the only empty can we had stuck on a stick kneeling without a rest as one would do in the woods.
04-03-08_1545.jpg

Great pistol......

Jayco

jaycocreek":3rum7v34 said:
I have the 7.5" BFR in 45-70.It is the most accurate handgun I own.I also have the 454 Casull and my goal with the BFR was to match 454 Casull velocities with the 45-70 and a heavier bullet.Easily done.The 420 cast I load in the 45-70 Guide Gun at 1866 fps(60 degree's) clocks 1560 fps in the BFR(39 degree's).I figure right at a 250 fps velocity decrease with the temperatures being the same..I loaded the 420 Cast down 5 grains of RL-7 just for the BFR and got 1400 fps which I was after to match the old 360 grain Cor-Bon Penetrator in the 454 Casull before SAAMI changed the dimensions on it.

I have some 300 grain Nosler Protected Points loaded down to 2105 fps in the Guide Gun which should be about 1800-1850 fps in the BFR.Just where I want to be again,at a hot loaded 454 Casull velocity but I haven't changed to jacketed just yet.I plan on getting a bunch of Speer 300 grain Unicores(A heck of a bullet itself) to practice with and use the Noslers for hunting/protection.

This is at 30 paces approximately 25-30 yards with the only empty can we had stuck on a stick kneeling without a rest as one would do in the woods.
04-03-08_1545.jpg

Great pistol......

Jayco
..........Jayco!...............Sounds to me that you had the same idea back when, as I have now. That is, to mate a low pressure cartridge namely the 45/70 with one of the, if not the strongest built single action revolver on the market, while at the same time, exceeding the 454 Casull`s performance, at lower pressures and with less recoil.......Sum it up pretty good??

A 420 gr. cast load @ 1560 fps? Very good!

The 480 Ruger with a 325 grainer, is advertised at 1325 fps. in the Ruger brochure from the 7.5" Super Redhawk. Hodgdon shows a max. at 1525 fps using a 325 gr. Horn XPT from a 7.5" tube!

Like you, I figured about 1800 to 1850 fps from a 300 grainer coming out of a 7.5" BFR 45/70!. Hodgdon shows the 454 Casull maximums with 300 grainers @ 1746 fps. from a 9.375" barrel.

By carefully working up each load, checking for extraction ease, primer, case condition, and because of the low 45-70 pressures to start with, perhaps it is quite possible to rival the 460 S&W levels of performance in the BFR 45/70.............

I have yet to shoot any 300 grain bullets.I have only shot the 420 cast at 1560 fps and 1400 fps and a 525 grain cast that is 1515 fps in my Guide Gun and 1300 fps in the 7.5" BFR.

Recoil on the faster loads is fairly stout mostly because of the hard rubber grips that come standard on the BFR..They need some softer rubber grips and I can't find any.I did get some shooting gloves for the range and lots of shots that tend to sting the palm of my hand after several loadings.

It comes straight back on me the way I hold it with less jump than most big bore pistols.None of my loads are max but I have heard loading the BFR to 45-70 level 3 aka 40,000 CUP is not fun to shoot and I have heard the same about factory 450 Marlin loads also.

I wouldn't want to go over 1900 fps with a 300 grain bullet in the BFR because the recoil would rise in a hurry.My 300 grain Nosler hunting load for my Guide Gun is 2300 fps with RL-7 which would be around 2000/2050 fps in the BFR if the difference per barrel inch continues..

Jayco

YoteSmoker":12uquvoi said:
Big Squeeze, can't you do that with a snubnose barrel?
...............Don`t want a snub nosed barrel! In the revolvers anyway, too much velocity loss. The 7.5" er is a very good compromise between a faster handling smaller snub nose vs an 8" to 10" tubed revolver that is more difficult to handle. As a matter of fact, to me, the 7.5" BFR though heavier, balances better than does the 4 5/8" Blackhawk......

Jayco!....Try calling Hogue (# on the website) and see as I will, if they do or will offer rubber grips for the BFR, just as they do for the Super Redhawks!!...BTW! From what I understand, all Ruger Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk grips interchange with the BFR`s. Magnum Research has those nice woody grips on their site which are probably not the best for hot loading recoil. I may have to buy a good pair of shooting gloves too!.........

Back