Man, I'm Beat Up

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Yesterday, I took the day to spend some time at the range. We have a sunny day and virtually no breeze until mid-afternoon. Conditions couldn't have been better. When I arrived at the range, I was the sole shooter. After noon, a few people began straggling in until all the ranges were being used (400 yard, 100 yard, three handgun ranges; I can't say that anyone was on archery as it is difficult to hear the twang of the string from 500 yards away--and I don't know if anyone was up on trap-and-skeet ranges). Still, it felt good to be out. I took several rifles to work with. I had a .243 Win belonging to a customer, my older .280 (which had received a different scope), the 350 Rem Mag (with a different scope), the 358 Norma Magnum and the 8X68S. It was a good day, but at the end of the day, I was a bit tender. Interestingly enough, when I shoot, I get very sore feet and lower back because of tensing up when positioning myself. As I age, this gets somewhat more problematic at the end of the day.

Here is the lineup of rifles that accompanied me, sans 8X68S.

In order (l to r) are the 358 Norma Magnum, the 350 Remington Magnum, the 280 Remington and the 243 Winchester.

The 8X68S was on the bench when I took the picture.

The 243 gave some good results that should be resolved very quickly. At the request of the owner, I was working up a load using the 80 grain TTSX. I worked up one set of loads with Superformance and another set with H100V as the owner has a good supply of each of these particular powders. Both of the loads gave eye-opening velocities from his 24.5 inch barrel with excellent standard deviations. Accuracy potential was right around MOA, with the best groups in either set ~0.75 inches.

The 280 and the 250 RM were both sighted in and the hunting loads I had taken were verified with the new scopes. The 280 was shooting 139 grain GMX that I had loaded, yielding just under sub-MOA and a velocity of 3006 (+/- 16) fps. I believe that will work. The 350 RM produced the usual sub-MOA groups with 200 grain TSX at 2797 +/- 5 fps. Yeah, that'll work. I've only taken one head of game with this rifle, a cow elk. However, the load worked to perfection; it will, no doubt, continue to work.

I was working up a load for the 358 Norma Magnum with 275 grain Woodleigh PP SNs. I will say that when one touches off that load, it is a handful. It is more punishing than either a 9.3X64 Brenneke or a 375 H&H. The data generated was exceptional. The top velocity was 2706 +/- 4 fps with 73 grains of H380. However, accuracy was less than stellar (~4 inches). However, with that standard deviation, I have something to work with, and should be able to bring this into line very quickly. Dropping back to 70.0 grains of H380, velocity drops somewhat (2596 +/- 26 fps), and accuracy tightens to MOA (0.98 inches).

I am very pleased with the 8X68S. I will be working with this rifle quite a bit throughout the spring. A series of loads built with 196 grain Norma Oryx bullets and MRP yielded MOA across the spectrum of loads. Velocities ranged upward to 3132 +/- 10 fps. Playing with seating depth should quickly bring this into a load with more than acceptable accuracy. When working with 180 grain E-Tips (a bullet with which I have a severe infatuation), accuracy was consistently MOA and velocities ranged upward to 3102 +/- 13 fps. There is great potential in this load, I do believe.

While at the range, the sun was melting the snow, and the firing line (dry at first) was under about four inches of water my 3 in the afternoon. I was certainly glad I had worn my boots (I've lived here long enough to know how to do a few things right). A young couple showed up at the range around noon. He was shooting a Tikka 7mm RM and she had a Remington 783 chambered in .308. She had just put on a new scope, and they were having some difficulty getting the rifle to shoot as they wanted. I spent some time with them, working on technique and encouraging her in shooting. She was shooting ten-shot groups of about six inches at 300 yards. I explained that if she worked on her shooting technique, she would have no difficulty taking game with her rifle. A six inch group at 300 yards was plenty good to take elk and moose consistently if she worked on it. We worked on breathing and form and she was very much appreciative. Hope to see them in the field this fall.

Then, it was home and put my feet up! I'll work on finessing these loads I shot yesterday and try this all again.

Mike looks like a great way to spend the day, lot worse ways to get all beat up. Wifes honeydo list comes to mind. :lol:

Mike,

Looks like you had a full day at the range. As for the beat up part....... 2 Aleve. :)

JD338

Being pretty close to your age and having a body that I rode hard and put away wet I know your pain Buddy. But I still enjoy shooting both my Whelens in the same day.
Don't think I want to play with the Norma though.
All in all sounds like you had fun and got some much needed load info.

I'm glad you were able to get out and have fun.
God bless mate.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't remember whether I mentioned the round count or not, but I was shooting four round groups. The potential for larger group size is greater, but it is closer to a true size. When I finish with load development, I will run a couple of sets with five rounds each to gain a realistic estimate of what a load is capable of doing in the field.

Looks like a fun day mike, however you will still feel those boomers tomorrow. Lots of nice days ahead, I am constantly reminding myself to not over achieve. :wink:

Elkman":2rj3mhef said:
Looks like a fun day mike, however you will still feel those boomers tomorrow. Lots of nice days ahead, I am constantly reminding myself to not over achieve. :wink:

Interestingly, Bill, the recoil doesn't bother me much; there is little pain the next day in my shoulders. It is the posture/form at the bench that bothers me. This is the constant reminder that I did break my back years ago and the increasingly tender feet aggravated by years of balancing on rocks while wearing blue denim waders during fishing expeditions around this province. Had I known I was going to live this long... :mrgreen:

Dr.Mike,
So glad to hear you made it out to the range. I'm interested in how the 8x68 does for you. It seems to like what your feeding it. I wonder how it would like the 220gr Sierra?
Hope all your aches vanish quickly - anymore, I often Take Advil preemptively to ward off the ever reoccurring aches. My youth was spent playing football for eight years and rugby for 15 years and when ever the weather changes my joints predict rain much better than any meteorologist.
Scott

Awesome stuff Mike. That 8x68 is a beast..

I know exactly what you mean about the big 35's. I touched off a 3 rd group of RL26, 250 PTs and 2890FPS and felt every FPS of that load :lol:

I do think that 275 at 2600 sounds pretty danged cool though.

Mike and we are supposed to feel your pain when it was self inflicted and all of it was a boat load of fun? Nice day sir!

Dr Mike when you do your fine tuning can you show a pic of how it improved the group and say what you did to improve it.
By looking at the shape of the groups you have posted is there any thing to tell what may help tighten them up. Does a triangle group suggest one thing, well a square group suggests another and a vertical line another etc.
Thanks

Just curious, since I posted a question on the barrel length of the 350RM both my post and DrMikes answer has disappeared from the post? I've seen this happen before for some of my post but thought I had failed to click the submit button until today when I read the answer which was 22".

Strange, Rodger. I did answer your query; but you are correct that both the query and the answer have evaporated into the ether! Very strange.

Stew, you pose an excellent question. The simple answer is that shape doesn't matter; it is an issue of statistics. However, patterns can be predictive. A string can be indicative of a pressure point on the barrel. However, that couldn't be verified unless it was a pattern observed after multiple tests. Ideally, for a three-shot group, one could wish to see a triangle. Similarly, for a four-shot group, a square would indicate random orientation within the set. When I analyse my groups, I am aware of the patterns without assigning much weight until a pattern becomes obvious. If all the shots form a bug-hole, the issue of pressure points, etc., becomes a mute point. For instance, here are a couple of three-shot groups from some previous tests with a 300 WBY.

Similarly, this was a test with a 9.3X64. While the pattern presented is triangular, the shots are impacting so closely and it is a mute point as to whether they are truly random or not.

A test with a 35 Whelen produced similar results, rendering the question of randomness a mute point.

I can't find the appropriate picture at the moment, but I also have several tests with a .356 Win that reveal a consistent string, but the shots all impact to form a longitudinal hole of about one inch. Though the rifle is stringing, it is a mute point within the distance I will use it.

Hope that helps.

Back