Might of made a dumb purchase.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
As it relates to shooting and maintenance for me anyways. :oops:

I have a bore scope coming. Will be a useful tool I'm sure if I can use it as intended and not obsess over things that don't matter.

Discovering why and where problems are, or where problems are developing. Other than that I hope to be able to leave it in the case where it belongs!

I'll be honest, I shot my Whelen and it did quite well for the first 5 or 6 shots, after that things went south and I discovered it already had pretty heavy streaks of copper at the muzzle. So putting everything on hold until I see where the problem is........suspect it starts in the throat/rifling transistion from the reamer, but I don't know.

I'll probably go right to Tubbs FFS, but I want to verify first. I had very good results with FFS on a similar problem with a Mauser 22-250 I have when I first got it. Figured I'd try to get this one in shape right from the get go, and a scope will let me verify what needs done and will be useful for numerous things in the future.

Shade, its not a dumb purchase since a bore scope is a nice tool to play with to check your bore to check off variables on why it won't shoot well. I would get a borescope in a heartbeat, there are plenty of other things we can use a borescope for. Enjoy it when you get it, and keep us posted on what you may find in that bore.

I've learned a lot with my Teslong since I purchased it.
I found that one of my barrels is likely in need of replacement. Couldn't get it to shoot, and when I scoped it saw plenty of pitting despite it being stainless. Apparently one of the prior owners abused it quite a bit. As you, I'll try shooting Tubbs through it but the threshold for replacement is low.

I've learned a lot with my Teslong since I purchased it.
I found that one of my barrels is likely in need of replacement. Couldn't get it to shoot, and when I scoped it saw plenty of pitting despite it being stainless. Apparently one of the prior owners abused it quite a bit. As you, I'll try shooting Tubbs through it but the threshold for replacement is low.
The Teslong happens to be the one I ordered.

My one experience with the Tubbs system on that 22-250 was quite good. Like your rifle it was quite neglected. When I got it I could barely get a 22 caliber bore mop down the barrel it was plugged that tight.

Getting the barrel clean after a lot of work, then bedding the action, I got it to shoot very well, but accuracy dropped off dramatically in as little as 8-10 shots. After the Tubbs treatment that extended to between 25-30 shots before accuracy was comprimised and then it was a slower descent with continued shooting instead of a dramatic fall off. Also cleaning was substantially easier than before. So overall I called it a big improvement.

My Whelen is a fresh rebore and chamber so it's not a matter of neglect but probably some tooling marks. I'll take a look see once I get my scope. Whether it's in the throat or the barrel the Tubbs should take care of it, or dramatically improve it, but I guess I'm curious to see what I'm dealing with first. Also I'll be able to see a before and after. (y)

I found mine useful for checking earwax. I also found carbon rings at the front of the neck juncture I didn't know I had. I do chuckle at the guys who panic when their rifle that still shoots sub-moa shows firecracking, tool marks, streaks, etc. I got the Teslong one that feeds to my Windows PC. Set-up is quick and the ability to shoot stills and videos and control and edit brightness is a plus.

Last edited:
I found mine useful for checking earwax. I also found carbon rings at the front of the neck juncture I didn't know I had. I do chuckle at the guys who panic when their rifle that still shoots sum-moa shows firecracking, tool marks, streaks, etc. I got the Teslong one that feeds to my Windows PC. Set-up is quick and the ability to shoot stills and videos and control and edit brightness is a plus.

Earwax! :)

Yes, that Teslong is inexpensive and works great!

Guy

Nice investment. Just don't over analyze and you will be fine.

JD338

Let us know what you find. Curious like you since it's a new rebore. Hopefully something minor like a rough spot that can be smoothed out. Dan.

I bought a Lyman , shortly before the teslong arrived on the market . from what I read the teslong has a better quality picture or view , whatever you want to call it . I think you'll be pleased with it .
I have a rifle that shoots everything very well , with little to no load development . when I scoped the barrel , I couldn't believe it . about mid barrel , there is a spot that one land is about half the width , or less, than it should be . I haven't looked that far down for awhile ,but I'm guessing that spot is a few inches long . it makes me sick to look at it , but it shoots great . if I would have scoped that barrel before the purchase , I would not have bought probably the most consistent rifle I have . my advice to you is , keep in mind how it shoots when looking at these barrels. ask yourself , are you looking for a problem , or nit picking .

I bought a Lyman , shortly before the teslong arrived on the market . from what I read the teslong has a better quality picture or view , whatever you want to call it . I think you'll be pleased with it .
I have a rifle that shoots everything very well , with little to no load development . when I scoped the barrel , I couldn't believe it . about mid barrel , there is a spot that one land is about half the width , or less, than it should be . I haven't looked that far down for awhile ,but I'm guessing that spot is a few inches long . it makes me sick to look at it , but it shoots great . if I would have scoped that barrel before the purchase , I would not have bought probably the most consistent rifle I have . my advice to you is , keep in mind how it shoots when looking at these barrels. ask yourself , are you looking for a problem , or nit picking .
Yep. I have a lot of good shooting rifles just using my noggin on when it's time to clean that particular rifle based on how it's behaving, and without knowing anymore than what I can see at the muzzle. So I know it will be a valuable tool for numerous things but I gotta keep it in check for what it's really needed for.

Not a dumb purchase at all. A borescope is a valuable tool. Let’s ya see things you wouldn’t normally know were there. You know, like earwax and such. LOL

Just arrived today. Too busy to look at it yet on how to set it up and how it operates. Should have some time tomorrow, if not there's some bad weather days coming up and I'll mess with it then.

Was able to set the scope up for my laptop and use it yesterday. I'm certainly not an expert at what I'm looking at, but it appears to me that everything is fine in the throat area and the transition from the throat to the rifling. There's just what I assume is normal tooling marks and nothing extreme.

In the bore I was able to see some rough spots that stood out compared to normal tooling marks. So that should be it. I have a box of Tubbs on the way and that should take care of it. I'll go through that procedure and then when all done coat it with bore coat, and then be content with the results at that point and work on some loads. Should be good. (y)

First post so I have found the Teslong really nice tool to verify brass web status for case head separation from the inside of the case. Much nicer to actually see versus paperclip method!

Back