Mike Bryant - One Remarkable Gunsmith

USAFblue

Beginner
Oct 30, 2010
I sent my new (15 rounds down the tube) Remington 700 Stainless Steel 300 RUM Sendero to benchrest Master Gunsmith Mike Bryant in Wheeler, Texas.
-
It seemed to shoot "so so" during the break in, so I asked him to "do whatever it takes to make it shoot" and he did just that, PLUS he took payments over time! WoW!
-
1) The factory barrel was removed, and he installed a cryogenically treated, custom 5R Bartlein.
2) This fine barrel was installed through a heavy surface ground recoil lug.
3) The action was trued, with the headspace set to my store-bought ammo (sent to him).
4) The bolt was lapped.
5) At my request, the H.S Precision stock was fully bedded. Yes... I believe it is needed. 8)
6) For my personal preference, I asked him to modify the bolt with the larger Badger Ordinance Tactical knob, and I just today decided to send it back for a Sako extractor installation as the stock Remington extractor does not always work. (I hear it's a common problem with this magnum gun) :x
-
After the work, and prior to my elk hunt, trying to sight in and adjust the Nightforce Scope was amazingly easy.
I had decided that I wanted to zero it at 150 yards.
Not paying any attention to accuracy, I broke in the new custom Bartlein 5R barrel per their instructions.
I then cleaned it very very well, dried it, and fired a fouling shot.
I found the shot through the scope, and estimated and then counted clicks and adjusted the turrets up and right as this 1st shot was several inches low and left.
I decided to fire three more shots for a pattern.
The next three shots may very well be the best I have ever shot, as they cloverleafed on the 3/4" white sticker I had stuck to the black poster board as my target.
I measured them and they are an amazing .280" center to center at 150 yards! Woo Hoo!
-
I know it is hard to believe, but this is a 300 RUM folks, shooting store-bought bullets!
My hat is truely off to Mr. Bryant!
-
So... time passes and is now here, because the elk hunt is on! YES!
After finding running herds at over 400 yards in our favorite area, we went to a totally new area 60 miles South. (Our hunt was following an archery and a black powder hunt and they were spooked)
On the next to the last day of the hunt I spot a 2-year old elk calf.
She was walking slowly to my right. I ranged her at, you guessed it... 150 yards!
From a seated position, I was very confident in the gun, and shot her in the neck while Dad was spotting, and he said she went down very hard.
Attached are photos of the pre-hunt target and one of this December 2013 Elk hunt harvest.
-
Dad shot his through the lungs the last day, the very next morning after mine in the same area.
I am quite the happy hunter and totally pleased with this gun and Mike's skills!
-
I'll shoot some more later and decide if I want to mess with handloads or not.
9a4885549fe094beb88efdebdc77a340.jpg

-
3738cdedfd7b6a262a7cdef599ee88de.jpg

Great report. Congratulations on a fine rifle and on a successful hunt. I'd say your gunsmith did a superb job.

Research the Sako extractor mod... Some people claim that an over pressure load will blow out the cut for the extractor and send shrapnel into your face. Dunno how accurate that is, but it's something to check out. If I'm spreading Internet rumors, sorry about that.

Otherwise, that is one accurate hammer!

That is a very efficient looking rifle & it looks like that smith knows exactly what he is doing :wink: The calibre is a definite long ranger as well. I believe you will be happy with that rifle for many years to come or as long as you want to keep it :mrgreen:.
Thanks for the report and photos as well. Looks like your freezer should be just about full.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks Dr. Mike.
You have always been a kind one to me, even when I screw up.
I had my scope set on 6.5 power, and was ready this time. :grin:
I am Sir... truely pleased with your advice, this gun, the gunsmith, and the young elk that I harvested this year.
-
BK... Thank you kindly for the thoughts. An accurate "elk and whatever else" hammer indeed!
I did in fact research the Sako extractor, and found that if one does not go "off the map" with handloads, it is a safe extractor. I have now decided to error on the side of safety and asked my gunsmith to go with a mini-M16, to which he replied, he was not set up for that style, but had installed several Tubbs 2000 smaller "footptrint" extractors successfully on magnum rifles, and that they work very well.
After looking at the Tubb 2000 extractor, it appears to be a good one, and I have found no reports of gas jetting and breakage from excessively hot loads. Mr. Bryant said he will install that one instead for me.
-
And sask boy... this Christian man who loves to shoot in competition and make Remington 700 rifles shoot like I have never owned before, has made this rifle of mine shoot VERY tiny groups.
It is quite the heavy rig, but I am not yet too weary of carrying it. Maybe as I age...
I use a Claw Strap and hang onto the bipod leg. I move it through 4 different positions as I carry it to even out the wear on my old body.
Efficient? I'm not sure but am keeping it in Arizona, and figure it will do the job on just about anything I want to hunt here, considering a Bull Elk is about the largest critter here. On the other hand, the bears I've seen here are pretty smallish and I would say no match for this gun.
Keep it you ask? For awhile anyway, seeing as how I have so much money in it and the scope, I am figuring I aught to at least shoot the new custom barrel out... don't ya think? :wink:
-
Freezer you ask?
It's a smallish Wards 10.3 cubic foot chest type, just right for a 2-year old elk calf, and yes Sir, it is filled to the top with this one.
God truely has been good to this old man over the years, and here's a final photo of our 2014 blessing of "eatins".
0fa762533a0f1ee8f469838f3bcfa518.jpg

It appears you found a Gunsmith that knows his stuff. Very nice rifle and congrats on the full freezer.

Vince

Well, congratulations on a fine rifle, by a fine smith, and of course on your successful hunt!

Nicely done on all counts.

Guy

You have hit the jackpot, a GREAT rifle, and a very nice elk to along with it. It's shooting great, thAnks for the write up and pictures.

Well Gents, thank you for your kind replies and wishes.
-
Now, on another note, I went to Mike Bryant's web site, and he has suddenly retired.
He states that work in shop will be completed, but no new work will be taken in.
-
So... he went on to recommend another master gunsmith, whom I contacted and this fellow is 6 months out, and a "one man shop" just like Mike was.
We have lost another great one as far as getting precision work done.
-
He wants to spend more time with family as he stated he was basically in his shop all day, with no time for anything else. :(

Gun smithing can be a demanding job, that's for sure. A good smith is worth every penny he charges.

Great write up and pictures, congratulations on a great shooting rifle and a nice elk. !!!!!!!!

Back