Minox scopes

Greg Nolan

Handloader
Nov 25, 2004
Finally I got around to giving a report on the Minox scope. I liked it so well I ordered another one in 3-15x42 with BDC. I've put one on a 300 Wby and the other is destined for a 270 Wby. They are clear and crisp to the edges with great color rendition. The adjustments are first rate and smooth. The sighting adjustments are accurate and consistent. My only question is " when are they going to become well enough known for the the demand and price to go up? The 4-20x50 is nice but the knobs are just too large for my hunting needs. I just can't justify a Zeiss (and believe me I tried) and only a Swarovski if I get a REAL good price on a nice used one. This is just my opinion but you might want to at least check a Minox scope out if you see one around.
Greg

I have one sitting, waiting to be mounted up (probably on a .270 M700) and a pair of compact binos. Probably getting a 4-20 for a varmint rifle. They seem alright to me!

dubyam":37lyd6kr said:
How's the weight? And eye relief?

They are light enough in their class to be accused of being fragile and at 4"+ the eye relief is as good or better than most any other. A good choice for your heavy kickers.
The glass is sharp and gin clear, especially for the price. Also a great warranty.
Count me as a fan.

I am looking at their spotting scopes, anybody have one of them? Scotty

I just ordered one from Cameralandny.com
It's one of the demos. MD62ED angled with the 20-45 Zoom eyepiece included. It runs $999 and the eyepiece runs $199 New. I got them both for $699. Free shipping with FEDEX
The ED is the flouride glass version for perfect color transition.
They have Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss and others under demo/sample still for sale. They are hundreds cheaper than anybody else has them for. They have Scopes too. They even have the Z5 6-30x56 30mm. You should realy check it out.
Greg

Just received a Z3 3X9X40 today that is going on something soon. Had it out in the back yard this evening to see how it looks once dusk falls. The glass is clear and pics up detail better than I thought it would. We will see what happens when it goes to the range where a "box" test can be done. This was another Cameraland special they were blowing out for a great price.

Looking forward to hearing how the MINOX works out. They seem like excellent scopes and the price is very right! Scotty

I have a Minox ZA5, 2-10x40 BDC scope that I bought about 18 months ago. I have it mounted on a Model 70 Winchester, .30-06, BOSS Composite. The scope is vary clear with good contrast and holds zero just fine so far. Adjustments are not exactly 1/4 inch but are precise and hold where you put them.

I have only put about 60 rounds of 165 Partition habdloads through the rifle with this scope on it. So far, so good. The only issue that I have had is with flare into the afternoon sun but it was a problem only once when looking almost directly into the late afternoon sun at the range. Other than that one item. it has worked fine. It appears to be a good scope for the 5:1 ratio and for the $500 that I paid for it. Very close in capabilities to the Zeiss Conquest.

That is great to hear Charlie. I have a Minox on the way in order to field test on my 300 Weatherby. I hear they use the same glass in the Minox as the Conquest. Scotty

Greg Nolan,
I hope this isn't against the Nosler Forum Rules. Greg, are you a member of 24hourcampfire.com? In their optics forum, cameraland has an inventory reduction sale and that spotter is listed at $549.00 for campfire members. You may be able to get a refund if you register at the 24hour forum and call cameraland.

Great deals on other optics too.

Bruce

Scotty, the Minox scopes are advertized as Schott glass, the same as the Conquest. I can not see any difference. Or course Schott is owned by Zeiss and I do not know what effect that would have on the glass that they use for the Conquest. Probably the same, I would guess.

Makes sense to me Charlie. I think I have a Minox 3x90-40mm coming with a German #4 reticle to field test. Right now, I would have a hard time deciding between a Zeiss with the Z600 and the Minox BDC. Can't see paying more for the same glass unless someone could tell me something bad about either one. I am looking forward to seeing this Euro glass. Never used one before, as all my scopes have been Leupolds. Scotty

First, let me say that I'm a fan of Minox, having looked through some of their binos at an Indigo Bunting many years ago. So don't take this as against them. (I'd also like to try the Minox 3-9x40 scope out, if I could, but I can't right now.)

Having the same glass is only part of the equation. The other half of what you see will be based on the coatings and the process in which they are applied. Things like the number of layers, the makeup of those layers, the QC standards during the coating process, and the overall number of lens elements, coatings, and makeup of those coatings, will have a dramatic effect on the little things we notice when looking through the lenses. Clarity, to a small degree color, and things like flare, reflection, etc., will all be enhanced by the right coatings in the right order with the right composition.

Perhaps the coatings on the Minox are better than the Zeiss, or perhaps vice versa. Or, they could be equal. I suspect they are close, but my money is on the Zeiss being a tad better overall. That's just my opinion at this point, though. Pricepoint on the two scopes bears out that comparison, but perhaps Minox is lower to garner some quick market share - which is very much what Zeiss did with the Conquest when it was first introduced.

I'm excited to hear your thoughts, Scotty, on how it looks and performs. Greg, I appreciate your input, as well. One of these days, if the invite is still good, I'm going to meet you in Idaho and we can discuss this over the campfire.

Heck, I love the 2.5x8 VX3 on my 338WM. Brightest scope I own and seems to work well. Anything better than that one is excellent. I will give it a full review once I get it mounted and such. Scotty

Scotty -
Sitting in my office looking at the box all packaged up with your name on it! Gotta find time to get it shipped out. And yes, we are expecting a full report :lol: .

No worries. I figure if it will stand up to this 300WBY well, it will work on just about anything. Can't wait to get it. Thanks Joel. Scotty

Me also Scotty, I have one of the early models of Minox that were probably in the first production run made. My take so far between the Minox and the Conquest (I own both) is that the coatings, at least on my Minox are not quite as good as the Conquest. Glass performance wise, I think that they are very close. I have ever experienced flare with the Conquest or my Zeiss Diavari V/VM and have into the afternoon sun with the Minox. That has to be coating technology.

You test your new one against your Leupold and see what you think. I am interested in your perspective as well.

Now I'm just going to HAVE to stop on my way home tonight from other commitments to look through the VX3's and Conquests again.....
:wink:

Back