MN BWCA advice offered

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
I spent several years guiding in the Ely area. If anybody is planning a trip there this summer or a hunt in the fall, I'll help with planning, routes, gear selection etc. Am looking to go antelopeing in WY or Montana someday so any help or advice you could offer in return would be appreciated. There is a rumor that the DNR is considering an early BWCA only firearms season for whitetail. There are some real trophies up there but you'll have to work for them!

Had a buddy get drawn for moose up there about 10 years ago and shot a nice 40" bull. Took him and his partner 2 days to pack it out with all the portages. He said he wished he hadn't pulled the trigger :p .

I try and get up there at least every other year on the Gunflint Trail side of it. We will have to talk about some of the areas that you know. Most of my trips up there were with an ex that didn't want to venture in very far.

257 Ackley":2f774ggl said:
I try and get up there at least every other year on the Gunflint Trail side of it. We will have to talk about some of the areas that you know. Most of my trips up there were with an ex that didn't want to venture in very far.

Most of my trips have been with hardcore clients or a good buddy who is a USFS forester. In either case we weren't afraid to see some country. I alway got the hard trips because I could handle them in my guiding days. I enjoyed going 4 days deep with clients. Got into better fishing, less people and better tips that way. Only almost lost one. Guy started having cardiac symptoms luckily near a motorized route. Dropped him on a boat for Crane lake and rest of the party forged ahead.

A little scary when in the backcountry with someone having medical issues. Always worried about that when we'd take the Boy Scouts out on a 50-miler afoot or afloat. I could just imagine how nasty it would be to have one of our hikers (adult leader or a Scout) break a leg or ankle two or three days into a high-country backpacking trip. These days rescue options are much more available than they were in the old days.

Sorry - no decent Wyoming or Montana antelope info to share.

Regards, Guy

Polaris":a8fnevff said:
Most of my trips have been with hardcore clients or a good buddy who is a USFS forester. In either case we weren't afraid to see some country. I alway got the hard trips because I could handle them in my guiding days. I enjoyed going 4 days deep with clients. Got into better fishing, less people and better tips that way.

Amen brother, amen.

The BWCA is one of the most amazing bits of gods green earth. We used to go up for 10 day trips putting in on Sawbill. We always went up with the idea that the first day we'd travel hard, and then the next two working our way back in at a leisurely pace. On day one, with some sweat and effort, you'd leave 99% of the weekend/daytrip types behind. By the end of the second day, you were pretty much on your own.

We also had some great trips up there at the very end of season. A bit different going in with winter gear, but man, talk about amazing. We had a few nights we could have read a book by the northern lights. Heck, by the time the first snows fly, you really do have it to yourself.

Back