Model 48 Westerner

Idaho_Elk_Huntr

Beginner
Feb 5, 2009
Can you tell me the brand off barrels used on these rifles? Went to Cabelas recently to purchase a 280 AI. Cabelas wasn't much help. Didn't have what I wanted so they were trying to push a 300 win mag on me. Didn't seen like they wanted to even try and get me one in 280 AI.
Was interested in a Kimber but seen the Nosler and it peaked my interest. So I have been posting about it and Cooper was brought up. So now my interest is peaked there.

Any help in helping me pick a rifle? Maybe why or why not to go with one or the other?

In picking a rifle, it really is going to come down to handling the rifles that you are interested in and choosing the one that feels the best to you.
For example:
How does it balance in your hands, feel when you shoulder it, feel when you cycle the action, etc.
When you close your eyes and shoulder the rifle, and then open your eyes. (shotgunnner's trick)
Is the rifle nestled into your cheek comfortably?
Is the barrel lined up in your sight picture?
Will the mounted scope be in front of your eyes? (or iron sights if so equipped)

Nosler and Cooper both make quality rifles...
Which one has the most desirable features that you are looking for?
Which one has the least number of missing desirable features that you are looking for? And can you still be happy without those features?

With the Cooper, keep in mind that the test fire target included with the rifles, they are fired at close yardage (50 yards or so if memory serves, definitely less than 100 yards) with a fixed 36 power scope in a shooting tunnel, with handloads. Do not expect to duplicate this group at the 100 yard range with factory ammo, or your own hand loads, and whichever scope you mount on it, or be disappointed. Have seen a number of disappointed Cooper owners because they cannot duplicate the accuracy of the test target. They did not realize the factors involved with the test target.
But who buys a 280AI (or any other centerfire cartridge) with the intent of only shooting 50 yards? Wish Cooper would use more real world parameters in their test target shooting.

I'll make the plug for the Nosler... I've had one since 2006, my hunting partner bought one in 2015 and i've set up 2 more for others. Very nice rifles that just shoot and both of ours have handled a lot of rough country hunting.

The barrel on mine is Pac-nor, not sure about the Westerner.

IEH,
My wife has a Nosler M48 Heritage in 280 AI that has been very good to her. It's very accurate and easy on the eyes. She has shot it out to 800 yards on steel gongs, WT deer at nearly 400 yards and this fall took a bull moose with it. She loves this rifle!
uSsuaRY.jpg

Pac-Nor barrel delivers sub MOA accuracy.
I would suggest you call Nosler and talk to them directly about the M48 instead of someone at Cabela's who is not looking for YOUR best interest.

JD338

Back