Model 600 Remington

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
I have a chance to pick up a Remington model 600 in 6.5 Remington Magnum. If I purchase it I would like to put it in to a Mannlicher stock. Now the big question, remove the vent rib and rib mounts, leave the rib, or rebarrel to get rid of the rib.

I had a M673 Guide rifle in 6.5 Rem Mag. I struggled to get that rifle to shoot under MOA until I removed the rib. It then shot the 125 gr PT and 130 gr AB sub .75 MOA.
The 130 gr AB yanks the rug out from under deer.

JD338

I had a 673 in 350 RM. I never shot it with the rib, having removed it first thing. The whole time I owned it, the rifle produced sub-MOA groups. I don't doubt that the 6.5 RM would deliver similar performance.

Well, theres two votes for removing the rib. I think its part of what makes them look unique..... I like the look of small groups though, too. Part of the reason I passed on that Ruger RSI (if I'd have had the money) was because it had a full length stock and I was afraid it wouldnt shoot., What did I know? I'd shoot it with the rib on. I do like the look of a rib on some rifles....like Mom's.

Attachments

• 1.2.18 551.JPG
    1.2.18 551.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
I started hunting with a Remington Model 600 Centennial in 6mm Remington. I used it for years and years and now it belongs to my son Jeff. He took his first antelope and deer with that rifle. It shoots really well with the rib and of course it's been left on the rifle as it is the Centennial model made in 1964 celebrating the 100th year of the Montana Centennial and 75th year of Statehood. It shoots a 100 gr. Nosler Partition at 2800 fps out of the 18" barrel. I'd shoot it first and see how it does. Remove it if you like, after all it's your rifle.

Back