Montana ASR (American Standard Rifle, 30-06

I dig it! Seems Montana could be in the running for my next rifle. Especially after seeing your target!

SJB358":169z5n81 said:
I dig it! Seems Montana could be in the running for my next rifle. Especially after seeing your target!
And it's going to be a 30-06 (y) :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

A great looking rifle and excellent shooter also. One question however, why is the bolt backwards, is that a manufacturing error?

Dang. Just took a look at the rifle photos. Very, very nice.

I expect to see a photo of it this fall, propped up against an elk, deer or bear... :mrgreen:

Guy

Yes that bolt is on the wrong side, just like the comb..:). Been topics of much discussion among my friends at the LGS and here..;-). One creative idea was to make it a lever action...

Rol_P":3b345wkt said:
Yes that bolt is on the wrong side, just like the comb..:). Been topics of much discussion among my friends at the LGS and here..;-). One creative idea was to make it a lever action...
Don't listen to those left brain people!
The bolt and comb are on the proper side for a right brained person.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The finishing touches that I paid extra for on the Rem 700CDL, stock bedding, bolt lapping better trigger and barrel free floating were all done in Kalispell Mt before it was shipped.. The barrel was also lapped which I did not have done on the Remington..

In a review of MRC that I found on the internet the company founder is quoted as saying they want to do all the finish work a customer might otherwise have done on an assembly line rifle..
I was going to order a Timney trigger in the Montana but Larry Craven the sales mgr suggested I try their trigger first and I am glad that I did..

Really nice gun. Those are going for about $1650 on this side of the border double what I paid for my CDL 270. The MRC seems to be one of the better deals out there compared to others in that same price range.

The Montana is digesting a variety of Nosler 180 Partition and Accubonds in various loads previously developed for my Remington 700 CDL. Results have been somewhat interesting and a little frustrating. Three shots together with two fliers..

The photo that I hope attached, (still technologically challenged), is of a nice 5 shot group from this afternoon..

Sunday Dan & I discussed a data set that may help me finalize good loads. Working various powder charges from low to high, say 52.0 to 57 in half grain increments and for each powder charge change the seating depth .005" over a decent range. I plan to do this with IMR & H4350 and Reloder 22 for the Montana..

Attachments

• photo (28).JPG
    photo (28).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 575
Pretty sure no elk or mule deer will slip through a rifle shooting that well. Good deal. I am happy that Montana is performing. Seems like a very high quality rifle.

Rol_P":vsnfd7eh said:
I was going to order a Timney trigger in the Montana but Larry Craven the sales mgr suggested I try their trigger first and I am glad that I did..

I have come to believe that old Winchester style is the very best factory trigger ever put in a production hunting rifle.

Congratulations on a great rig!

Hegland":3mwbbnha said:
Rol_P":3mwbbnha said:

I have come to believe that old Winchester style is the very best factory trigger ever put in a production hunting rifle.

Amen to that. Can't beat them.... They were made for hunters.

Hegland":3kvfl3nv said:
Rol_P":3kvfl3nv said:

After I tested their rifles and three random selections pulled from the rack all felt perfect and felt just like the one next to it, I could have stated that you would probably stay with the one on the rifle when it went out the door! Happy for you.

SJB358":1ghrrstq said:
Hegland":1ghrrstq said:
Rol_P":1ghrrstq said:

Amen to that. Can't beat them.... They were made for hunters.

Amen they used one of my favorite principles too. KISS!

Back