Moose bullet in 30 cal.

IdahoCTD":1ernc2of said:
If I was hunting near water I would shoot one in the shoulder (and probably the high shoulder to impact the spine) unless your prepared to fetch one out of the water.

I can just see my hunting dog look at me if I shot a moose, it fell in the water, and I said "fetch!" :mrgreen:

Mighty Peace":2sej6nk2 said:
huntnmachine":2sej6nk2 said:
I use Winchester AccuBond CT 140 grainers in my 270 WSM for black bear and whitetail and it hits like Thor's Hammer
I am going to try out Hornady 165 grain GMX this year for moose in my 300 Win Mag

Your 270 WSM with the 140gr AB's will do a great job on moose as well. (y) I have been very impressed with this caliber and bullet combo on big game. Not saying your 300WM wont work-its nice to have a backup rifle. The 300WM -that's my traditional moose camp rifle so it goes out every year. :mrgreen:

My wife and inlaws use the 270WSM on elk, moose, deer and bear. I have taken a few elk with it as well.

I am considering using my 270 WSM for moose, like you, I love this caliber and ammo combo

huntnmachine":2d3rgbxd said:
Mighty Peace":2d3rgbxd said:
huntnmachine":2d3rgbxd said:
I use Winchester AccuBond CT 140 grainers in my 270 WSM for black bear and whitetail and it hits like Thor's Hammer
I am going to try out Hornady 165 grain GMX this year for moose in my 300 Win Mag

Your 270 WSM with the 140gr AB's will do a great job on moose as well. (y) I have been very impressed with this caliber and bullet combo on big game. Not saying your 300WM wont work-its nice to have a backup rifle. The 300WM -that's my traditional moose camp rifle so it goes out every year. :mrgreen:

My wife and inlaws use the 270WSM on elk, moose, deer and bear. I have taken a few elk with it as well.

I am considering using my 270 WSM for moose, like you, I love this caliber and ammo combo

If you do use it expect good things. A cannon isn't necessary, just a good bullet through the lungs and he will be yours. I'm going to alternate carrying my 35 Whelen and 270 Win this year, 200 gr AccuBond or TTSX in the former (have both loaded right now) and 160 gr Partition in the latter. Going to do the same for grizzly as well.

The 270WSM will work very well on moose (and elk). I've taken several with that particular cartridge loaded with 130 grain E-Tips.

Thanks everyone, and Guy I would like to see your dog when you told him fetch on a moose! I bet the dog would give you a look similar to my heeler when I tried to convince her to get an angry angus bull out of the middle of a pond. She thought the 4ft of water might put her at a disadvantage or something.

I have shot 16 moose in the last 15years. I have used 9.3x62 with 232 and 250gr, 308 with 165, 168 and 180gr and 30-06 with 165gr.

I've killed each moose I've shot at but I'd say that the better kills were with traditional weights/construction. Going lighter than standard (232gr and 165gr) didn't help me on two occasions and going stouter 168gr TTSX didn't help me on another.

180gr AB and familiarity sounds a great place to be!

mcseal2":2w7hqkw4 said:
Thanks everyone, and Guy I would like to see your dog when you told him fetch on a moose! I bet the dog would give you a look similar to my heeler when I tried to convince her to get an angry angus bull out of the middle of a pond. She thought the 4ft of water might put her at a disadvantage or something.

Laughin' here! :mrgreen:

1894, I know in the group of people I hunt with and use 30 cal. the majority would be shooting the 180gr. bullet. I always tell them to use the Partition or the AccuBond but only a few listen to me :shock:!!
The same excuse is used by those who don't, they state that Nosler is too expensive when other bullets seem to do the job. I always come back with I have never had a Nosler fail me and remember the bullet is the cheapest part of our hunt :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back