Moose Hunt 2020

Wow! Congratulations on the moose Gerry! (y)

Great photos too, thanks for sharing. Ya, who knew that the .35 Whelen would work on moose?

Good job!

Guy

That is perfect bullet performance.
Congrats again!
Great shooting Gerry!
I think the .35 Whelen was brought about for bigger critters like elk, and moose. I could be wrong.
Maybe Whelen had an extra amount of .35 caliber bullets around, and decided, Meh, might as well neck up an '06 case, voila!
Just because he could.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

He must have had some really thick hide to catch that AB rib shot on the far side. You would think it would have punched right through the far side. Huge animals for sure.

That big boy will be some great eating for the next year!

Thick hide for sure on these big boys, some areas it is 1/2-3/4" thick so it will catch a bullet that open's wide like these ones did.

Thebear_78":odejnt32 said:
Damn good bullet performance! I would expect nothing less. One of the great things about the moderate middle bores is they are not to taxing on bullet integrity. It’s hard to find a bad bullet in the whelen.

Long, steep, bulrush choked and waterlogged meat packs are risks you always take with moose. I’m not sure what’s worse, cutting up a moose in waist deep water and floating vegetation or clinging to alders on steep grades. It’s rare to get an easy one.

Given those choices I'll take solid ground any day ;)

I shot a moose with the predecessor of the AccuBond, the 225 gr Ballistic Tip and it did the job too. Wish Nosler would at least bring out a 200 gr Ballistic Tip for deer sized game. I do like the 200 gr AB version though.

Gerry that 225gr. did everything you asked of it (y). I have a young friend that believe the 225gr. in the GK is the best there is and has ever been. He advised that Sierra has stated that they made the 225gr. specifically for the Whelen, I am not sure if that is true or not but I know that he has asked me a couple of times if he could buy a box or 2 of ABs from me :wink:. I did pick up a box of 225gr. GKs but have never taken them out of my bullet cabinet :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back