Moose Opened With a Bang

No pics on that hunt as I was up to my elbows in moose guts. However, I hope to have one down shortly and I'll definitely have some pictures. It is windy and hot today, but we went out into the dark timber. We saw no moose today and bears were scarce, but we did see some nice elk (which opens September 1) and tons of mule deer and whitetail. The deer and the elk are in great shape, and we are seeing a lot of young bull moose. I'm picking up a crossbow to extend my hunting season. I promise some pictures soon.

Man, that is awesome, I can't wait to hear how you do with Elk and bear! I truly envy your ability to hunt so many different species so close to home. I have to drive 2K miles, but even then, it seems like a bargain. Make sure you get that camera charged up. Scotty

It is a shame that Nosler doesn't make broadheads. I do hope to do some hunting with crossbow this fall. My hunting partner arrowed an elk at about 30 yards with his crossbow last fall. Before the critter had laid down, six more bulls were on the field. We called one more to within about 20 yards, and two of the bigger bulls to within about 80 yards. It was some kind of fun. We were using decoys, and they seemed to work very well indeed.

That same week, I had used one of the decoys to bring four cows into the open, and though they were aware of our presence as we crouched down behind some low cover, they nevertheless began to graze. Within five minutes, the herd bull came out and I took him. The cows milled about and went back to grazing. Finally, after about five minutes, we had to chase them away so we could dress the bull. For this bull, I used my 7mm WSM, loaded with 160 ABs.

You are one lucky guy Mike. That sounds like a hunt of a lifetime, and it is right out your back door! Man. I would like to see some pictures of that bull. Scotty

Scotty,

They were taken with a standard camera. I'll scan the pics and post them. I'm careful to carry my digital this year, but that doesn't mean that I use it as I should.

Excellent, can't wait to see them. I am dieing, sitting here in Tx, while you all are out getting into the hunt. Scotty

Back