More than Glock and Kimber

Frank Glenn

Beginner
Sep 27, 2004
Well I see the Glock and Kimber aficionados have made the first posts. I am wondering if there are any 1911 or Smith & Wesson fans out there. Feel free to jump on this band wagon and ask about anything on your mind. :roll:

My preference is my H&K 8) over my Glock.
I have a USP Compact in 40 S&W and would not give it up. I would like a nice 1911 though.

I just bought a Springfield Armory XD40. I am very impressed with the out of the box accuracy.
Other guns I've tried and been impressed with are EAA Witness PS 40 S&W, and Walther P99 9MM.

I've used the P99/XD40/ EAA in IDPA matches. All are good reliable pistols.
Just my opine.

300rem7":2w8blmiy said:
My preference is my H&K 8) over my Glock.
I have a USP Compact in 40 S&W and would not give it up. I would like a nice 1911 though.

Glock 23 and Sig Sauer p220 user here. I just was out at the range today trying among other things some Nosler 185 grain .45 ACP rounds I just made up. The P220 ST EL likes them just fine. Don't shoot 1911s anymore, there is the P220. For those that like them its their choice I just think that out of the box the Sig P220s are better, accuracy and ergonomis wise and require none of the fiddling around with that seems to accompany 1911s. Your mileage may vary

I've been a big fan of Beretta 92s, Browning High Powers, Sig 229's, and of course 1911's. But the handgun I shoot the most is my S&W 686.

All my revolvers are Rugers, 2 GP100s and a .45 Colt Vaquero.

Autos are all over the place, Dan Wesson 1911, Charles Daly 1911, Springfield Armory double stack 1911, Browning BDM, Beretta 96, Beretta 8045, Kel Tec P3AT, Kel Tec P32, Hungarian Makarov, Mauser 1914.

I have,

KIMBER 45ACP/SUPER
SW 500 MG
BERETTA 92 INOX 9MM
RUGER SINGLE SIX 22/22MAG
BROWNING 22LR BUCKMARK
ROSSI 38 SNUB.

Did somebody say "1911"???

I only own one...but I have handled MANY.
My Baer stainless Stinger...2 years old, 12,000 rounds...accurate, reliable, and with the 4.25 inch barrel on an officers size frame, its the PERFECT concealed carry 1911 (for me at least)

Fresh out of the box
119_1909.jpg

Here it is at about 10,000 rounds...a few scratches here and there, its had a rough life, I run it hard...drop it on the ground when doing BUG drills, rack the slide on whatever is handy when practicing one handed drills, and I once ran it for 2,000 rounds without cleaning it to see if it would choke...it didn't)
sn.jpg

Here's an odd one for you... during the run up to Desert Storm, there was supposedly a shipment of Star Model 30 9mm pistols that were supposed to go to Iraq. I think the exact model was 30i, I assume for 'Iraq'. It's a doublestack, double action blue steel pistol. It's been forever since I have handled it, so I don't remember specifics such as 14 or 15 round mag, fixed or adjustable sights, ect., and I'm too lazy to go to my safe and dig it out.

I've run a butt-load of cast reloads through it, and as long as I didn't screw up the ammo too bad, it just kept crunchenticking along (to butcher a Jeff Cooper term). Had a bucket of ammo (about a quart's worth) that I put through it without cleaning.

Back