Morning Visitor

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
When I got up early this morning, I noted a visitor resting in my yard. By the time I could get my camera to document her presence, she was moving out of the yard. Guess she was camera shy.

Morning Visitor 2022 10 07 1.jpgMorning Visitor 2022 10 07 2.jpgMorning Visitor 2022 10 07 4.jpg
Pictures are not the greatest. It was foggy, among other reasons for the slight blur.

Pretty cool Mike!

We get mule deer here in town every winter, but only occasionally does a moose wander through. Never had one in my front yard. This one lived in the city limits for about a year, inhabiting a small park along the Columbia River. I was fortunate enough to photograph her several times. Eventually she wandered off, and was seen heading north & west to wilder places where there are more of her kind. :)

LDm5e0Mh.jpg

Regards, Guy

Guy, it is obvious that I would benefit from some lessons in photography. Any classes you're offering?

Oh, I think it was last spring, might have been the year before... :)

Two moose wandered over to the garden & plant display at Lowe's hardware here in town and fed on the display plants for a while! Pretty funny. Then they wandered off, heading Northwest as well. Getting to be a pretty decent moose population up the Entiat River Valley and also near Leavenworth Washington. Not enough to hunt yet, but that may happen someday. Most of our moose hunting is up in the northeast part of Washington. Tags are very difficult to draw.

Guy

What a way to start your morning. :)

So, just how far is your house from "the woods"? Has she just wandered a couple of hundred yards out of her habitat, or has she infiltrated a couple of miles into civilization? Dan

The wilderness would be at least five or six kilometers south of us. There is a creek (Dawson Creek) that flows about a km from us, but it is surrounded by homes. We have at least four and sometimes six moose that winter over in the town each year. There is at least one cow and either one or two calves that winters behind the church I pastor. There are mule deer that winter over along the creek and throughout the town as well. I know there is a lynx that winters behind the church since I see him frequently throughout the winter and/or find his spoor in the snow. We do get the occasional black bear that wanders into the edges of the town, but that is not as common. I've never seen wolves in the town, but it wouldn't surprise me if one occasionally wandered into the town. I've never seen a grizzly in the town, though a sow and her cubs does wander through FSJ (75 km north) on a somewhat regular basis.

Wow. I can't imagine having moose living in my town. That would be so cool. Dan

Back