Most explosive Varmint bullet

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
Just trying to get a consensus on the most explosive varmint bullet avalible in .22 cal. Don't bother trying to feed me Berger or Barnes as they are too expensive for the task at hand.

I'm currently running 55BT's at 3750-3850 outta a 22-250 but looking at other options to reduce cost a little bit if possible. Looking to stay at 55 gr in that rifle. But I also picked up a Savage Stiker in 22-250 and looking at 35-40's to keep my velocity up in a 14" barrel. I also have a 22BR that is in the process of a common BR repair. Bushing the firing pin hole to stop cratered primers. It will also be fed 55's

Thanks

Jake

I just purchased to use Sierra Game Kings 55gr. product #1365 :wink:.
I am hoping for good results..

Blessings,
Dan

OP, I don't know if they're still available, but Shooter's Pro Shop had 55 BT factory seconds on sale a couple weeks ago for $11/100. How much cheaper do you think you can get?

Usually the factory second 55 BT's go for about $16/100, which is still a decent price when compared to the retail boxed product. I snagged 3 bags of them for $11 each, plus 4 bags of the 95 BT factory seconds for my .243, at $9 each.

If you keep your eyes open and watch out for the factory seconds at Shooter's Pro Shop, I don't think you'll find anything cheaper at retail prices.

Hornady SX super explosive but you have to watch the speed or they will vaporize.

JD338

bdbrown66":akg8vsbr said:
OP, I don't know if they're still available, but Shooter's Pro Shop had 55 BT factory seconds on sale a couple weeks ago for $11/100. How much cheaper do you think you can get?

Usually the factory second 55 BT's go for about $16/100, which is still a decent price when compared to the retail boxed product. I snagged 3 bags of them for $11 each, plus 4 bags of the 95 BT factory seconds for my .243, at $9 each.

If you keep your eyes open and watch out for the factory seconds at Shooter's Pro Shop, I don't think you'll find anything cheaper at retail prices.

Your right I was on there last night. Just kinda looking around asking questions. The 55BT is all I have experience with. Just asking if there's a better mousetrap! The 55 does a dang fine job just in the fields with irrigation equipment I'm kinda leary of taking some shots. I've jugged a 55 and know it does penetrate about 16" or so at 3950. I've dinged one pipe which I had to repair. It's my own equipment so it really was a silly deal. One reason I will not use a 22LR.

nvbroncrider":1hfw5jzt said:
bdbrown66":1hfw5jzt said:

Your right I was on there last night. Just kinda looking around asking questions. The 55BT is all I have experience with. Just asking if there's a better mousetrap! The 55 does a dang fine job just in the fields with irrigation equipment I'm kinda leary of taking some shots. I've jugged a 55 and know it does penetrate about 16" or so at 3950. I've dinged one pipe which I had to repair. It's my own equipment so it really was a silly deal. One reason I will not use a 22LR.
Yup I've seen a .22lr penetrate auto sheet metal on junk cars in a junk yard. They make dandy holes in steel sheet metal.

bdbrown66":3emwyn3j said:

I've recently been trying the 55 gr Sierra BlitzKing in my AR15. They seem to be a little more consistent than the Hornady VMAX bullets, and from what I understand they are designed for explosive results. You might want to give them a try. You won't save any money on them, tho...they cost as much or more than the BTs.

Our p-dog crew shoots Hornady 50g Z-Max by the thousands every summer ... very accurate bullet and will give you the show you might be looking for on prairie dogs or similar sized critters. (it's all I use on coyotes too ..they are deadly).

12 cents or less ...for a very accurate bullet that pops nicely

Hornady 50g Z-Max bullets (item 22262) load and perform exactly the same as Hornday V-Max bullets (22261) for us. The only diff imo is the Z-Max tip is zombie green, packaged in 500 round boxes, and much cheaper to buy. The two bullets share the same bc. ymmv.

These are 50g boat tails .... fwiw, I've shot the 50's (Z's and V's - both boat tails) and the 55's (V's flat base ) and they perform the same ... doubt you would miss the 5g if you decide to try these 50's. Boat tails make em easy peasy to seat when doing volume too.

500 packs of 50g Z-max's generally available at Powder Valley and Midsouth Shooters for under $60/500 ... and BudsGunshops typically has them for $64 but will price match and can combine with free shipping if you pay attention. Final tip....if you order through Powder Valley or midsouth and order 4 boxes (2000 bullets) or more, and request they come from the same lot number ....they will generally honor your request if they can.

example https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... 00+Per+Box

hope this helps

Sierra 55 Game Kings are really a tougher constructed bullet really meant to be used in a 223 size case for deer size game. The Sierra blitz king or Speer TNT is really explosive but may not hold together really well in a full house load from a 22-250 because of their really thin jacket. I used to shoot the 52 gr Sierra Match King in a 220 swift and when you hit a crow it looked like he swallowed a block of TNT. The 50 gr ballistic tip is wicked out of a 22-250 with a case full of Varget.

wildgene":9n50k7ah said:
...take a look @ the Speer TNT's...

I'll throw another punch for the Speer TNT's, they can be pretty violent on impact. I've seen crows pretty much vaporize when hit with this bullet. It makes quite a mess of coyotes too.

Guybo":293embkn said:
wildgene":293embkn said:
...take a look @ the Speer TNT's...

I'll throw another punch for the Speer TNT's, they can be pretty violent on impact. I've seen crows pretty much vaporize when hit with this bullet. It makes quite a mess of coyotes too.

Good point, I concur.... Speer TNT's are violent. I failed to think of them as I haven't been able to find a load with this bullet in any of my rifles that would give me effective and consistent accuracy on pop can sized targets past 200 yards. A good economical choice if a person could though, or if targets are routinely closer .

Back