most physically demanding hunt

alaska100

Handloader
Jan 31, 2012
we were discussing this subject today and for me it was toss up between mountain goat and mountain lion.

And for you ?

Brooke

Gotta go goat. My lion hunting chasing hounds can be tough too but goat hunting is near suicidal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably NOT the buck I shot at 20 yards, from my position on the haystack in 2007.... :mrgreen:

With out question, elk hunting in Hells Canyon. My sheep hunt was a cake walk by comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most physically demanding I've ever been on was a bear hunt with dogs. I was not licensed, just tagging along for "fun. " Was in upper Michigan. The dogs found a runner and pursued into a 20,000 acre nearly roadless area near Lake Superior. GPS said we covered over 14 miles on foot over some miserable swamp/hill country, spent the night in a cold rain under a cedar tree, were quite exhausted and hypothermic by the time we found the dogs at bay with a non-shooter. Then we had to hike out.

Goat is definitely a physically demanding hunt, but Polar Bear can be just as exhausting, but in a different manner. Depends on the hunt but those would be my two.

Only in Alaska would students be allowed to talk about hunting in a college class without the political correctness police arresting you

yukon huntress":1z8btwzn said:
Only in Alaska would students be allowed to talk about hunting in a college class without the political correctness police arresting you
LOL

Probably a horseback hunt in some real rough badland country, several years ago. A friend and I jumped a nice buck, we both stepped off our horses, shot the buck and both horses took off. Someone always holds on to at least one horse, not this time, funny what buck fever can do to you. Spent the rest of the day retrieving the horses, then going back to get the buck, then walking/riding 15+ miles in the dark back to the truck and trailer. Arrived at the truck about 2 AM, had left the previous morning about 5 AM.

Toss up between goat and my walk in sheep hunt.

Lots of climbing....and climbing...and climbing.

I find moose hunting exhausting- but it's mental rather than physical.

Washington's annual "high buck hunt" which is always Sept 15-25, and only the high country in the Cascades, in the Wilderness areas, is open. It's a horseback or backpacking proposition only, no vehicles allowed. And I've got no horses...

So, when I do this hunt, it's labor intensive. Backpack in the camp & hunting gear. Stay for a few days up in the high country, hunting... Then backpack out.

If the hunt is successful, a hunter has to pack out not only their gear, but their game. I've boned-out a couple of mule deer, and packed them out in my backpack. Then it's usually a return trip to camp, to haul out the tent, stove, etc... In the past, I've set up anywhere up to about 9 miles from the trailhead, so the trip on foot can be significant. Usually it's about 3-6 miles from the trailhead/vehicle.

That's about as physical a hunt as I've ever been on. I'd like to do it again a few times before admitting that I'm getting a little old for it. Perhaps I'll start hiring a horse-packing service to pack my gear in and out from a "drop camp." That would extend my ability to do this high-country hunt for quite a few more years.

Guy

A few photos from hunting mountain mule deer:

Tough hunt, not usually very productive for me, but worthwhile anyway.

Guy

It is a toss up for me and two totally different hunts. But Snow sheep in Kamchatka and Kudu in Africa both rate right up there for me as challenging, exhausting and physically demanding. From a pure adrenaline point of view , cape buffalo and lion.

There is a reason the Kudu earned the nickname "the grey ghost" ,as they can just disappear in the blink of an eye

The Cape Grysbok is one ion the hardest to find and hunt, but not necessarily exhausting, unless you include exhausting your patience.

I think for myself, tracking and finishing a wounded buffalo, leopard or lion would probably get my vote for the most exhausting. I did not find the hunt in New Zealand to be that hard, although we hunted the Tahr and Red Stag in the mountains and at high altitudes, but in all fairness I was a teenager at that time, so my physical condition was in its prime.

Best Regards

Jamila

I am probably the only one here who had to look up Cape Grysbok, as I had no idea what that was. That is a little antelope!

Thank you for all your comments, I will summery them and share them today. I enjoyed reading about the horse mishap, as I have had my share of horse mishaps. Goat was mentioned the most but for the most part, "the" hardest hunt was a particular hunt each of you took, not necessarily having anything to do with a particular animal.

Have anyone else here hunted mountain lions, except bear78 ? They can be pretty exciting hunts and physically demanding.

Guy, thank you for both posts, the first one was perfect and funny.` Brooke

:mrgreen:

I've HUNTED mountain lion, but have not yet taken one. Have been fortunate enough in my life to have seen three or four of them. Last one a few years ago while I was fly fishing for steelhead on the Methow River.

Here in Washington, dogs are not allowed, so it's predator call, or walking them down after finding tracks. So far I've failed at both, though I have shot a fair number of coyotes that have come to my predator call.

What I do is wait until the last of the archery seasons for deer and elk are over. I don't want to mess up some bowhunter's hunt.

That's about the first week of January, normally. By then most of the deer and elk are down in the low country, out of the high mountains. I go to their wintering areas, and I walk. And walk. Sometimes on snowshoes or skis. I keep hoping to cut a lion track, and then walk him down. Hasn't happened yet for me. I do know a chukar hunter who did this! He was out after birds. Found cat tracks. Followed them. Took the mountain lion with his shotgun after he stalked close. We were ALL impressed!

So... Will be out there again this January I hope, afoot, and trying for mountain lion again. Seriously considering the .22 Hi-Power Savage 99 with just the sights. Seems like a good gun for such an adventure!

Guy

Mr Miner, thank you for your post sir. Allen, thank you for your very nice pm.

My father and grandmother arranged for me to hunt mountain lions in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, when we lived in Texas. We were able to use hounds ( not ours ) on all our hunts but not always horses, but we did use horses when we could. If they would allow us to use horses my father would trailer mine to the hunt area. I used my grandmothers Savage 99 250/3000. It isn't as powerful as her 257 Roberts but has less recoil. Opps sorry, you guys all know that without me saying anything.

Best of luck Mr Miner, hope this is THE year for you Brooke

Trying to keep up with a Black Bear & dog pack, on foot, in the White Mountains of AZ. Granted it wasn't days long, but for the time spent it was Parris Island Brutal !!

Well at my age they can all have their moments as last weekend our farmland skinhead Moose hunt got to be tougher than first thought but I am going to do a post on it.
This past August I was blessed to spend time with gerry & 2 of his hunting buddies. We headed up to do a little initial spotting & to find a good camping area. The almost 5 mile hike up the mountain was quite the experience.
I have too say that from my little excursion Mountain Billy Goats would be the toughest I have done by a long shot (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Hunting mule deer on the peaks of the Utah Henry Mountains with a muzzleloader.

Attachments

• VictorDeer2016.jpg
    VictorDeer2016.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,860
Any elk hunt where I have to climb those knife ridges to get to them! I have really, really come to appreciate late season cow elk shot out of hayfields, ha.

Back