My baby just came in today !

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I have been waiting for that build for 11 months, thank God that its ready. Conversion from 7 STW to .300 Win Mag, 26 inch Bartlein barrel, #5 standard target contour with 10 twist on Remington 700 action. I disliked the base because its a little high and I like a good cheek weld and eye level to scope line of sight is not in good alignment, hopefully there is a thinner base to bring scope level down .300 inches or install a stock pad / cheek riser. My 34mm rings is 1.125 and I hope there are rings that will lower it even more but they are expensive. Just need to break it in and work up some loads soon. Hopefully nilgai is the first game I want to hunt.

Any pet loads I should start with? :grin:

sJdCUKM.jpg

A Nilgai hunt would be very interesting,

Not having hunted them myself, but have read a quite a bit on them, and watched several hunting videos.

Consensus is a very tough animal, and tenacious of life. Well constructed bullets recommended. First choice 180 gr or heavier AccoBond or A-Frame.

Wish you best of luck!

Blkram":248xuhr9 said:
A Nilgai hunt would be very interesting,

Not having hunted them myself, but have read a quite a bit on them, and watched several hunting videos.

Consensus is a very tough animal, and tenacious of life. Well constructed bullets recommended. First choice 180 gr or heavier AccoBond or A-Frame.

Wish you best of luck!

Thanks Blkram, I have used the 7mm STW on nilgai several years ago, with the 150 Swift Scirocco bullets. One to the neck and dropped at 150 yards and two others double lung shot, in and out, full run out to 45 to 60 yards and dropped. They sure are tough animals. I have shot one square in the chest with a friend's .338 Lapua with a 250 grain Sierra GameKing, it shook the dust off its hide, then it buckled then dropped on two knees, then got up and took off like a rocket down the plains. I chambered another round, but I saw him slow down, then stop at about 150 yards and it stood there and flopped over. Weighed at 700 lbs. I swore that I was never going to home process it again, thought I'll never finish. :lol:

Good looking rifle :wink: I am looking forward to your range report with photos.
I have never owned a 300win but have hunted with many guys that swear by them. I know a number shoot 180gr. in a premium bullet.

Blessings,
Dan

We use 75-78grs of H-1000 and a 215 Berger or 74ish grains of R-26 with the same bullet.

Do you shoot prone much?

Nice Rifle! Should be a real shooter. You could use a tactical check bag/riser, they can be bought with velcro strips to adjust the height even more then just the pad/bag.

Nice rifle..

I am with Nathan, H1000, 7828SSC and some decent 180-200 grain bullets will make it all it wants to be.

IdahoCTD":1wwy1gjn said:
We use 75-78grs of H-1000 and a 215 Berger or 74ish grains of R-26 with the same bullet.

Do you shoot prone much?

No, not prone. I like to shoot off stable platforms, but when need arises I may have to get on my belly for steady shot.

Which powders do you get for a good case fill?

I was bored so I pulled out the .300 and made a home made stock pack for it with a slip on knee brace, mouse pad ( doubled )and some velcro. Looks like I raised the cheek weld about 3/8 inches. The brace extended a little past the stock and did not want to cut it, so I folded it inside. It's my 2nd stock pack. Better than blowing away saved up money on another base or rings.

uYtroBH.jpg

Nice gun, congrats. I have only done a bit of work with the 300 Win so can't help too much but that thing looks like it is begging for a really sleek 180 - 200 gr bullet. The AccuBond or Scirocco comes to mind immediately for a do it all load.

And here I was ready to offer you a cigar and ask if you had laid in a supply of diapers... :lol: Nice looking rifle. I like your cheek pad too. Givin' me some ideas for a Savage accu-stock I have that is no fun to shoot. Have fun! (and no 3AM feedings!!) CL

I'd have a hard time feeding that thing just standard hunting bullets. Maybe the 200 grain AB, but I wouldn't want to go lighter.

And why there is no love for the 210 ABLR, I just can't understand, especially on this forum. But otherwise probably the 210/215 grain Berger.

That is a sweet rig!

Nice rig! My vote for loads is H1000 and the 215 Berger. You can get decent accuracy with the 210 ABLR, it is pretty finicky to load for in my experience. The ABLR does well terminally as well in my experience.

Back