My first Ackley

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
Well I'm home all day roasting turkeys(4) for our church's "Feed the Need" Thanksgiving dinner for those who can't afford their own and I thought I'd do a little multi-tasking. I recently picked up a really nice 98 mauser sporterized into a 257 Roberts AI. In between bastings I've loaded up 50 Nosler +P 257 brass with a light load of 4895 and 115gr B/Ts touching the lands. This afternoon I've been doing some casual plinking out the back door - my version of a turkey shoot :) . The turkeys are coming out great and so are the reformed brass - didn't lose a one to a cracked neck or seperation! This is also my first 98 mauser and I like it alot. The action is super smooth and really does best when worked fast. It's throated long so I'll be able to set the bullets out a ways. The OAL with the B/Ts loaded to the lands was 2.935. The magazine will allow that and then some. The gun has a low rise buhler type safety and the bolt handle has been replaced to allow mounting of a scope. It came with some one piece base and rings that are mounted straight so I'll use them. The only thing I'm going to change is the Corlite(plastic) stock. I'm going to add a laminate(green & black) to match the deep glossy black polished finish. When the weather breaks I'll put some rounds down the 100yd range to see if it will like the 85 & 115 B/T's.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)
Scott

Congratulations on chambering a great cartridge in a classic rifle. The 257 AI is a great cartridge, and you are correct that the Model 98 is fantastic. When you get a chance, post a picture of the rifle so the rest of us can dream a little.

Very effective cartridge and a cool sounding rifle. I don't know what make of stock you are looking towards, but I've been impressed with Boyd's Laminates and they have the color scheme you are leaning towards in addition to having checkering in different patterns as an option that cost wise is not bad at all!

As Mike said, show us the pictures!

6mm Remington":lqseox72 said:
Very effective cartridge and a cool sounding rifle. I don't know what make of stock you are looking towards, but I've been impressed with Boyd's Laminates and they have the color scheme you are leaning towards in addition to having checkering in different patterns as an option that cost wise is not bad at all!

I didn't know Boyds did engraving and checkering! I was going to stock it in a Rem798 overun stock but the only choice is green lam. Boyds has A LIMITED RUN in walnut with checkering for not much more. what do you think?

Scott

I've got a similar rifle (Czech '98 action) and had that corelite stock and replaced mine as well. Don't know if they still have 'em, but stockey's had over run Remington 798 laminates available for like $90 that are AWESOME for this purpose. May be even cheaper now...

Mine did best accuracy-wise w/ 100 gr interlocks charged by IMR-4350. They do "only" 3250 fps or so, but have been certain death on all game I've pulled the trigger on. I'm sure 100 gr NBTs would do similarly.

It did best speed-wise w/ H-4831SC and 115s but for accuracy it was IMR-4350 again, but I've always figured the bread and butter of the quarterbores is the 100 so I haven't ever put one into an animal.

Mine has also done nicely w/ Hornady 75s (both Vmax & HP) with H-380 at like 3600 fps and sub-moa.

I love this cartridge a ton. My chamber is tight w/ a long throat like yours and does very nicely.

muleman,

Congratulations on the 257 AI. IMHO, it is one of the best AI rounds, the other being the 280 AI.I have a 257 Roberts which is a fine round but the 257 AI is better and has a lot of cool factor going for it.
There are a few fellas here that load for the 257 AI and I am sure they will be along shortly to assist you with some proven loads.

JD338

muleman":23zgqgem said:
6mm Remington":23zgqgem said:

I didn't know Boyds did engraving and checkering! I was going to stock it in a Rem798 overun stock but the only choice is green lam. Boyds has A LIMITED RUN in walnut with checkering for not much more. what do you think?

Scott

They sure treated me right and we've been very happy with the stock on my son's 6mm Ruger MKII.

Sounds like a cool rig, Scott. I just landed at PDX a little bit ago, and understand what you mean about the weather breaking. Nasty!

The 257AI is not that far behind the 25-06 velocity wise. For accuracy and almost top velocity one of the 4350's is the ticket. If for some reason you can't get the 115 ballistic tips to shoot well give the 117 gr Sierra Pro Hunter (flat base bullet) a try. It has always been accurate for me in any 25 cal and really kills deer dead on the spot. So does the 115 Ballistic Tip but you may have a rifle that don't like BT bullets. I have a 25-06 like that. :mrgreen:

Scott, that 257AI has a ton of "cool" going for it. Congrats on the AI. I have yet to own one, but you can't stop time! It'll happen, just gotta find the right one! Scotty

Congrats on a fine caliber :!: I have not loaded for the 115BT, so I can't help with that bullet. I mainly use the 110 AB for deer/speed goat hunting and love the results with that bullet. My powder of choice is R19 with 210M primers. My rifle is a Pre-64 model 70, so there is plenty of room for seating bullets out as far as you want.

257 Ackley- was starting to wonder if you were OK....
Muleman- Sounds like you have a great rifle there. Like my Mauser too. Have fun! CL

CL - haven't had much time to spend in front of a computer lately. Lots of work to be done on the land I bought for hunting and there is no internet up in them woods :mrgreen:. Than this company I started a couple years ago decided to start actually selling products, so now I have to go out and work once in awhile :roll:

Back