My First Experience with a Muzzle Loader, today...

RiverRider

Handloader
Dec 9, 2008
...and I am very happy with it!

I bought a cheap muzzle loader, a Traditions "Canyon" .50-cal because it was on sale and I had a bunch of Cabela's points. My cash outlay was something like $50. I had a VX-II 1-4x laying around, so I mounted it using Weaver rings and some steel Weaver-style bases I came up with somehow. I put the rifle in the safe back in April and didn't even think about shooting it until about a month ago when I laid in a small supply of Triple Se7en pellets and some TC Mag Express sabots with 300-grain XTPs. One of my buddies is heavily into shotshell reloading and said he had some CCI 209 primers he was not going to use because his load calls for Winchester 209s, so I bought the Winchesters and swapped him for his CCI 209s to use in my ML (I use Remington STS 209s for my own shotshell reloading).

I could swear that read someplace that I should get used to shooting the rifle with two 777 pellets, and then move up to three pellets. When I tried to verify that last week I could not find the reference. Everything I DID find said I should just shoot two pellets, so I figured I'd follow that advice.

Anyway, I was able to get out to the range earlier today to shoot the thing. It took three shots on the 50-yard range to get the initial scope adjustment sorted out. Then I moved on to the 100-yard range. Three more shots got the thing to hit almost where I wanted, then I fired a group. It looks like this:

MuzzleloaderGroup.jpg

I don't think I have any room to complain. Next time I'll shoot it on the 200-yard range.

I do wonder though---is my memory failing me, or could I have seen some info somewhere that suggests using three 777 pellets??

Oh, it's probably a fluke Scotty. I have had SO many rifles that shot *lights out* first trip to the range and wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside thereafter (I went through six .243s that would NOT shoot consistently, and at least four of 'em did that to me). But still, I'll just leave the rifle at home when I go to the range and keep on believing it shoots like that. Next time I pull the trigger there will be a whitetail in the crosshairs. Truly, with this rifle I care about nothing but bang-flop, and I expect my shots to be 100 yards or less.

:mrgreen:

That has to be gratifying to see that sort of accuracy the first time out with it. Congratulations.

RR

Nice shooting!

The 2 pellets is all you really need for WT deer. You can go up to 3 pellets for more velocity, energy and meat loss.
I shot a couple deer with 3 pellets and then went back to 2 pellets.
I shot this buck a couple years ago with the new .458 cal 300 gr BST and 2 pellets. Dropped him in his tracks.
JDBusted8pt120510.jpg

JD338

Nice fellas. One of these days I might get into it.

JD338":kkcdpqw8 said:
RR

Nice shooting!

The 2 pellets is all you really need for WT deer. You can go up to 3 pellets for more velocity, energy and meat loss.

LOL! Thanks JD.

I agree, 2 pellets is sufficient. I've used inlines a few times, and I used 90gr of loose powder 777 with great results. You can go to 3 pellets for more recoil, if that's your thing. ;)

I believe alot of model in the knights suggest 2 is their given warranty max, mine I bought this summer suggest just that, 2 50 grn pellets behind a 290 grn bullet.

Wow! would that I could duplicate that with my centerfire. Good for you....peeved for me....but good for you. CL

Good shooting! I've yet too see a MZ that will print a decent group at 100 yards with a 150 gr charge. I'm using 100 gr of Blackhorn 209 in mine.

Traditions make good muzzle loaders. I have been to their "factory" up in CT, and when I was working for the CT DEP they offered us a discount on their rifles and I bought what was their top-of-the-line muzzleloader (this was when I was about 15-16). It has a 28" ported barrel, and idk what else , but it could shoot. If I can ever get it down here to Florida...

Back