My first Weatherby ever

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
My first Weatherby ever, chambered for you guess it... 300 Weatherby Magnum. This one has a 26" fluted Criterion Barrel from Krieger and a factory installed brakes. I always wanted a light enough rifle that carries a lot of punch. At 8 and 3/4 lbs, this Acumark will fit the bill.

DSC00940Large.jpg

DSC00935Large.jpg

DSC00938Large.jpg

Awesome, I can't wait for you to shoot it :lol: :lol: :lol: Hey, don't forget to send my reloading stuff back :lol: You are going to have fun with that rifle and when you find the load it will be a tack driver. :shock: :grin:

Desert Fox

Very nice! Congratulations. If she only shoots half as good as she looks........... :wink:

JD338

bullet":1pg6ieyt said:
Awesome, I can't wait for you to shoot it :lol: :lol: :lol: Hey, don't forget to send my reloading stuff back :lol: You are going to have fun with that rifle and when you find the load it will be a tack driver. :shock: :grin:

With Weatherby's 1.5" group guaranty and a freebore I'll hold my breath.

You can have your stuff back but send us back the 257 that you've borrowed. :)

JD338":3o0kgn4e said:
Desert Fox

Very nice! Congratulations. If she only shoots half as good as she looks........... :wink:

JD338

Thanks! JD. We shall see.

Congrats. Mine is in 30-378 and shoots great!

Desert Fox":60je8dlq said:
bullet":60je8dlq said:

With Weatherby's 1.5" group guaranty and a freebore I'll hold my breath.

You can have your stuff back but send us back the 257 that you've borrowed. :)

Change my mind, you keep the reloading stuff :lol: :lol:

Happy for you man, and I do hope it is a shooter. RL-22 gave me my best performance using the 180gr TSX.

DF,

Some of those Weatherby's really shoot superbly. I hope this is one. It is a handsome rifle in a great calibre.

Nice looking rifle indeed. I can see why you picked it up. Hopefully you won't want to throw it down after shooting it.

Nice rifle,
Get your self a good scope, Personaly I would love a VX3 3.5X10, but I don't like real high magnifacation. I just wish it didn't have a break.
I just hate those things !
...tj3006

Those Accumarks are great rifles. I just sold my 30-378 Accumark and it wasn't without a pang that I gave it to the buyer. IT had seen about 350 rounds and was still going strong. Struck WT deer down with authority, as far as you wanted to shoot them. Aim like your shooting a 22-250 and hit like a mack truck!! That 300 bee is not far behind it's bigger brother, 3500FPS is still smokin' for a 150 grn pill.

Time for me to get back to reality and a little bit more realistic cartridges, going to sell off a few rifles, buy my wife a gun she can shoot without a bipod and look for a good ATV like a Polaris Sportsman 800.
She wants a 7mm rem mag and I got her to try one at the range, no problem. Hopefully she doesn't show me up once she has something she can hold steady freehand..... would be a bit embarassing.

I'll miss that cannon tho

JT.

That is a great looking rifle. I bet it will be a really good shooter, plus the brake will give you some relief when you are at the bench getting it ready. Scotty

A Leupold VX III or Mark 4 4.5x14 with M1 dials would make your 300 Wby sing. :lol:

JD338

Desert Fox

The 300 Weatherby magnum is without a doubt the finest caliber rifle there is. It has the potential to take anything on this planet and can be loaded down to shoot varmints. It is "in my experience" the most inherently accurate caliber with the most bullet options in the world.
I have an Accumark in 30-378 that was suppose to replace the 300 Weatherby I sold. I have a new Vanguard in 300 Weatherby comming this way as we speak. I love the 30-378 BUT I miss the 300. In other words "you done good" :grin: Post pictures!! If you don't like it let me know and I'll try and sell a few guns and buy it.
Greg

Thanks Greg! I'll keep that in mind :wink:

I agree! The 300 Weatherby can be very accurate. Some of you must have heard of David Miller, the famous Tucson, Arizona gunsmith. He is also famous for his record book coues deer. He hunts them with his Marksman chambered for the 300 Weatherby. He usually shoots them at long range. That says much about the cartridge.

Don't let the naysayers fool you - freebore doesn't negatively affect accuracy. I've got a 270Wby that will shoot under .5" all day long for three shots at 100yds, with now at least seven different load combinations I've found. This same rifle has also shot a couple of sub-.25" three shot groups from sandbags, and it's in a tupperware stock!

I've shot other 'bees as well, and they all shoot fine. Many are sub-moa with factory ammo, all have been sub-moa with handloads. I can't ask much more from a relatively heavy recoiling hunting rifle.

Can't wait for Talley base and ring so I installed the Remington two piece Ken Farrel base and MK-4 rings. The base fits the MK-V really well. All I did was trimming the rear base screws. I mounted the LPS for now. So off to the range in the morning.

Picture002-3-1.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Nice rig, good setup, I hope you have fun at the range and I think you will.

Back