My first Weatherby ever

Well, it's a keeper. The rifle grouped well, but needed fouling shot from a clean barrel. The first shot was always low. With a little fine tuning, I could probably tighten this group even more. I'm using Barnes TSX. I will try AccuBond next. Here's the two 3 shot group @ 110 yards.

3 shot: 180 grain Barnes TSX - 83 grain IMR 7828. Average velocity 3065 fps

Picture071.jpg

4 shot: 180 grain Barnes TSX - 84 grain IMR 7828. Average velocity 3145 fps

Picture072.jpg

Picture074-1.jpg

Picture075-1.jpg

Nice shooting, try, the 180gr TSX with 84.5grs of RL-22 you just might be surprised at the group. Work from 82.5, but my Mark V handles it fine.

Looks like the one in my safe but I dont have any kind of brake on mine . And I do like the way the stock fits me.

Just as I thought! It don't shoot worth a darn so I will give you( out of the goodness of my heart) 100 real American dollars for it. :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol: I love my 30-378 Accumark and I know you will love your Accumark.
Greg :oops:

The rifle groups's' well! but not consistent, especially on a cold bore shot. I suspected the bedding is the culprit, eventhough the stock has a built-in aluminum bedding block. So I skim bedded the stock with Devcon Plastic steel.

Prepping the stock and action

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

Mixing and applying Epoxy

Picture007.jpg

Picture008-1.jpg

Picture009-2.jpg

For the hard part seating the barreled action to the stock and allow epoxy to cure for 16 hours

Picture010-1.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture013.jpg

After 16 hours, let see what I got

Picture004-2.jpg

Picture006-2.jpg

Re-shaping, cleaning, and re-assembly

Picture008-2.jpg

Picture007-2.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Range ready

Picture025.jpg

Range result first 5 shot group yesterday on a cold and windy morning. Not bad considering I can hardly feel my trigger finger :)

Picture002-3.jpg

Tried my accuracy load today, on a much better weather condition. Here's the 3 shot group. Two shot outside the black and I blew the last one!

Picture001-3.jpg

Who said Weatherby rifle won't shoot :?

Holy Smokes!! I was gonna post some pics of my good day at the range .... :oops: Guess I'll wait a day or two. :lol: Nice post. Wish I had the nerve to redo the bedding on my rifle..(not really) Good pictorial on bedding. Very cool looking rifle!! and a shooter and a proper elephant stopper and...... well, nice!! CL

Desert Fox

Nicely done! Thanks for taking the time to post your project as well as the results.

JD338

Now that is awsome. My best groups were with Partitions but that was pre AccuBond. TSX goup good to but they have always been inconsistant for me. That rifle looks like a Farrari at idle.(Looks like it's doing 180 MPH) :wink: Congrats again!
Greg

Very nice desert fox. She sure is a shooter. Thanks for sharing all the information. :grin:

Yep! I never thought Barnes would be able to shoot tight like this. The rifle sure did showed some improvement. 84 grains of IMR 7828, Weatherby Norma brass and Federal 215 Match primer. I seated the bullet just enough to clear the magazine. The rifle does shoot very consistently now.

Man, that is an awesome shooting rifle. I imagine deer and elk are quaking in their hooves thinking about you lurking around with that long gun. Those Barnes are good shooters when tuned and loaded well. Scotty

DF, I used your pics from this post for reference into my bedding project. Thanks again for posting them up. Very helpful. Scotty

Back